storm jib H26

Jimmy

Jan 28, 2018
Hunter 26 lake Powell lake mead
96F02978-794C-4AE4-B54D-6743EA844A25.jpeg
264A96E6-F0A4-4DB3-BFAD-589A34A2C785.jpeg
96F02978-794C-4AE4-B54D-6743EA844A25.jpeg
I have never had this sail up, probably a total novice question it’s the storm jib it had a length of cable to make it haul higher on forstay is this correct picture with and without?

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
pendant on top attached to the head of the sail. keep your center of effort of the sail low for less heeling forces. my $0.02

May 25, 2012
if it were built to fly high there would be a hank next to the tack

Jimmy

Jan 28, 2018
Thanks that’s what I thought too but didn’t know why it was rigged that way

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
There are two reasons why you might want to have the tack raised off the deck.
1. Generally speaking, keeping the tack above the deck will allow any large waves to pass under the foot of the sail rather than getting caught by the sail. In your case, the tack is pretty high and I doubt you'll be sailing in conditions with 8 foot high waves breaking on your deck.
2. Raising the tack might get you a proper sheet lead to your existing genoa lead car. With a low tack you might have to install a dedicated block or extend the genoa track for your storm sail if your genoa track does not go far enough forward.

+2 for both of Jon Hansen's comment regarding having a hank at the tack and lowering the center of effort of the headsail.

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
First of all, I'm not entirely convinced that is a real storm jib... most have a very heavy cloth, triple stitching .... It could just be a 80/90 percent working jib that the p.o. wanted to use as a "jib top" or "yankee" by going full hoist (except that would be unusual on a small trailerable production boat.

It could simply be a sail he was given, or got a good deal on, and just wanted to use it without installing new or adjustable fairleads.

That said, I'm not sure why you would put a pendant between the halyard and the headboard for tacking it at deck level. Is the halyard too short for that?

Maybe the previous owner simply wanted to get the sail clear of the lifelines even though the clew is cut high enough, or had a dinghy on the foredeck... who knows.

I would suggest adjusting the sail hoist to match the proper sheet angle to the fairlead... then build another pendant to fit .... then you have the correct hoist for the lead position.... or... install another set of fairleads.
Bisect the angle at the clew made by the foot and leech to get your neutral sheet lead angle.

Use the sail on windy days or when you're single handing and don't feel like messing with a genoa. Play around with it, with or without the pendant, and see what works best for you... maybe your question will answer itself when you try to use the sail.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
Is it just me or does it look like Jimmy's mast is raked quite a bit forward???

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I agree with Joe that it too light to be considered a "Storm jib." But in recreational sailing there is little to no need for such a sail. This is a jib that is undersized, probably from another smaller boat. My friend has a jib from a Lightning for his #3. It's a very useful sail for him. It practically tacks itself. And he can go out in windy conditions by himself. You might find your progress to windward better than expected with those easy tacks. Or you might spend some time tacking on 5 degree shifts which will sharpen your sense of shifts. And it could be fun.

May 25, 2012

one of my favorite sails. not a storm jib. about the same size as the OP's. great for driving to weather all day in a full breeze. because of its size it leaves the slot between it and the main open. the main has lots of power with less blanketing when the sails are all the way in for beating.
pass the cheese curds please :)

Jimmy

Jan 28, 2018
It looks that way in photo it was just the angle of camera boat is on trailer

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
thank you all for the advice given here to include lowering that sail with a lower jib pennant, adding a hank but most important rake that mast with a slight prebend back.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
A question... with hank-on sails, is it a concern that the hanks will wear on the stays? If so, how to avoid it. Just asking.

May 25, 2012
on all my jibs, the hanks are bronze. much softer metal than the stainless stay. the 1966 110% high clew jib that gets allot of use in brisker winds does show some wear. i carry spare hanks. never had to use them yet.

it's a non-issue

Jimmy

Jan 28, 2018
I think hanks are made of soft metal so hanks wear out not stays