Storing the 310 Seat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
On my 310 I have the drop in seat, and I noticed there is a diagonal groove cut in the back, almost like it was made to hang the seat on the rail for storage. Is this right, and if so, where would one hang the seat so it would be out of the way, but secure?

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 350 Tacoma, WA WA
Mine is stored in the garage at home. A friend of mine has a C-34, and he bought a square, tall ice chest (Walmart, $30), and it fits very nicely in that space. I tried one on my C-310. Again perfect fit. It is about 5" higher, and with a cushion, it is great for sitting, and seeing over the pedestal. PLUS, more ice box storage for cold ones...

OK - At anchor, you still have a problem, but the ice chest can be moved to the bow, set on the lazarette, or (I haven't tried this yet), MAYBE strapped on the aft deck on one of the step hatches.

My buddy left his seat on the C-34, and uses it to cap off the ice chest. I saw that as redundant for my boat. However, his hangs on the swim step.

regards,

Jon Freeman
C-310 #40 "Summer Sojourn"
Seattle/Tacoma

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Yes, it is designed to hook on the stern rail. I don't like the design and if it goes overboard it will be lost. I took a thick piece of Styrofoam and glued it in the hollow underneath, so it would float if ever overboard.

Jan 22, 2008
Oh - It occurs to me the ice chest MIGHT fit in front of the pedestal (under the table, if you have one). It could BE a table, as it has four cup holders also.

Jon Freeman
Seattle/Tacoma

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Good ideas!

Man, you guys are on fire this morning. I just posted this a few minutes ago, went off and read about the great reefing upgrade and come back to a couple of posts.

Witzend, I like the idea of the foam, as well as the ice chest. We do have an extra one we bring on the boat (fancy thing has wheels and a handle, a reversible lid with cup holders in it, and is special insulated so it keeps ice up to 3 days) and it does fit under out table. The idea to leave the seat off of the boat is OK, but I do sit on that a lot and have cushions with the one over the "drivers" seat that is really thick (8-10") and curved. If I hang it over the swim platform, with styrofoam glued under it and perhaps a bungee to keep it secure that will work. Thanks All.

Jan 22, 2008
I have the big humped center cushion also. It works pretty well with the ice chest. I may rivet snaps to the ice chest to hold it on a little better.

Jon Freeman
Seattle/Tacoma

MarkZ

Nov 5, 2005
Hunter 49 Green Turtle Bay: Ky
I hang my seat :)doh:I'm talking about the fiberglass piece of the boat that you sit on while manning the helm :D) over the bow pulpit while anchored. I don't like using the stern rail because it gets in the way. I do worry about it falling overboard, but that is more likely to happen when I'm handling it than when it is actually hanging. It has stayed secure there for many days and during very strong winds. I hang mine so it is over the inside of the boat, above the anchor locker, so if it did come off for some reason it would be more likely to stay on the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.