Still Racing in Texas

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
We’re still racing my Hunter 340 almost every weekend on Galveston Bay. Both Saturday and Sunday half the time. Yes, my house and yard are in dire need of attention.
And I’m having fun with my YouTube channel, just passed 250 subscribers and 50,000 total views. That’s nothing compared to the big channels, but my target audience is pretty small.
St. Patrick’s TASS race was a lot of fun, except for the two crash jibes. Most of the boats racing were Hunters and had a great view of the J/105 midwinters.
And I’ve been making a ton of mistakes in the Peanut Regattas, but have managed to stay in series first in my class.
It’s not “real” PHRF or one design racing, but we are still having a blast and making great friends.
Two day GBCA Performance Cup in two weeks.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Looks like you had some nice breezes! We may take the cover off the boat tomorrow so the rain can wash her off a bit.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Just uploaded the 150th video to the channel. Ran across a great video a couple days ago on Facebook from the Swedish Blur sailing team and I loved the music they used. Found the cut using Shazam and it's not restricted on YouTube. So, I reused some clips and threw together a channel highlight trailer.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Had a guy contact me about getting some video of one of our races from his drone and have me put the drone clips in my YouTube video of the race. Turned out pretty good IMO. I’m going to try to get him out for more races.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
GBCA Rum Race #1 is tomorrow, Saturday May 29th, on Galveston Bay. Expecting forty or more boats racing. Really looking forward to it, hope I have enough crew to sail in it and fly my a-sails. Lots of people going out of town for Memorial Day, though. Guy with the drone was told he can't fly it over or from property on the Boardwalk or the marina. I still hope to get him out for another race and find somewhere he can fly it from.
Latest race was a TASS event against a newer Hunter 36 and Hunter 38. Only seven boats in it, but high winds made for good action in the video. There are a few clips from the Hunter 40 in the LYC Shoe Regatta, too.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
The YouTube channel has hit 340 subscribers, kind of meaningful in a way. The last GBCA Rum Race for 2021 is this Saturday and we’re only a couple points out of series second in our class. We did manage to get first in class in one them.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Try to get a good start and sail fast! Keep the crew out of the cockpit!!!