stiff steering

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2005
catalina - Sidney BC
I have made an offer on a 1988 catalina 30 that is in very good condition. The survey was good with only one real question mark ...a stiff steering wheel that is constant through the whole turn. Prior to purchase I want to know what are the most likely cause(s) and whether it is likely an inexpensive or an expensive fix. Any one dealt with this. Thanks

R

Ron

Steering

Someone recently asked about this. One person responded that the pedestels have to be re-stuffed periodically, like a stuffing box on the drive shaft. The previous owner of my 1994 C320 installed a grease fitting. The steering is smooth and quick. Good luck.

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 30 MKII Channel Islands Harbor, CA
Same issue

We have the same issue (also on our 1988 Catalina 30 MKII). I know that the stiffness in our case is due to excessive friction between the rudder post and the fiberglass tube in which it rotates. This is most-likely due to the previous owner using some type of grease which hardened over time (becoming tar-like).We've been through the drill of adjusting, lubing, etc. all the cables and sheeves. There was an outstanding article in a recent issue of Mainsheet in which exactly this kind of problem was solved by removing the rudder, cleaning the tube with a wire brush, and reinserting the rudder. You can contact me by e-mail if you need more info. (I'm in the owner's directory). It's probably not an expensive fix because the steering mechanism is pretty simple with only a few possible points of friction. Gary Kunkel Catalina 30 "Folie a Deux" Channel Islands Harbor, CA

A

American Dream

I also owned a 1988 MKll 30' Catalina and had the same problem. Mind was very stiff and it squeaked when turning. I took the floor plate off over the rudder wheel in front of the Edson wheel. The two Edson pulleys needed to be oiled . It is a basin that the Edson pulleys and rudder wheel sits in and there is a drain out to the transom, it gets clogged and water fills the basin and the pulleys are in water. It was also source of a leak to the bilge.

J

John Mercator

grease fitting

Regarding installing a grease fitting in the steering tube. On my 83 Catalina 30 the tube is fiberglass at least on the outside. I have stiff steering and like the idea but wonder just how to install the grease fitting especially with the steering post in the tube??Any suggestions? John

L

lycaman

Stiff Steering Solved Thanks for Help

Solved the stiff steering on a Catalina 30. Thanks to all who offered help. Basically used an approach recommended by another owner which entailed dropping twe rudder, cleaning out the rudder tube, regreasing and reassembling.

Status
Not open for further replies.