Stiff Steering

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Walker

I have a 2002 - 26X. I find the steering to be very stiff and after some investigation believe that the problem is in the steering cable. has anyone else had a similar issue? If so how was it fixed? Thanks

B

Bill O'Donovan

Tricky

You could remove the floor panel and feel the tension. Presumably you could loosen the cable a little, but I'd check with your yard or Hunter first. Too slack is an even worse problem.

C

chris

Grease

I have a 26x 2001 & had similar problems with the steering. I read quite a bit on the web about broken cables and got a little scared. So instead of waiting until the cable broke I opened up the steering mechanism at the motor end of the cable and cleaned out a lot of corrosion. I then covered the internal parts with as much synthetic grease as I could and closed it up. It was not easy to do but it made a big difference. I plan to speak to the dealer and have the cable replaced. I also plan to put a grease nipple on the steering mechanism in the center console where the wheel is mounted. I am surprised that it was not manufactured with a grease nipple. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.