Stern Tube Leak

Sep 12, 2010
S2 8.0c Ninnescah Sailing Association
Got an interesting problem. 3 summers ago when we bought our boat we developed a leak that was hard to diagnose in the water. When we pulled our boat I figured out that the leak was from my stern tube.

As you can see from the photo I put a bunch of 5200 around the outside of the stern tube last summer. And it worked! My bilge was dry all summer long. This summer I thought the 5200 fix was still good but when I launched my boat the leak returned. I just pulled my boat this week and the 5200 was mush and came right off. I just don't know how to permanently fix this issue.

I guess some type of epoxy? Thanks for any advice.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
have you check your stuffing box on the other end of that shaft...it could be coming from there ...also i noticed that your prop and zinc don't seem to have much clearance between them

regards

woody

Sep 12, 2010
Stuffing box is fine. The water is for sure coming though the Interesting observation about the zinc and prop. Never gave it much thought. This was my 3rd Summer with the boat.

The water for sure coming through the stern tube and hull. Thanks.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Couldn't help but notice the surface on the stern tube. Is that threaded ? ? ? ? or just random grooving on the surface.

If threaded, and finding a nut that fits, you may be able to remove the zinc and prop and then apply a soft rubber gasket and sealant. Sealing surfaces would have to be spotless for this to seal.

If not, back to the drawing board.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
zinc/prop clearance

I agree. If you have inadequate clearance that may be the cause for the repeated cracking/failure. I'd try a smaller zinc. The other thing is that you may need to make a wider fillet of caulk between the tube and the keel.

Sep 12, 2010
Thanks for the advice everyone. Got it on my list for this Spring.

Sep 12, 2010
Went out to do some more winterzing on the boat today. I have enough clearing with the zinc but the entire stern tube is loose and I can rotate it. I guess the prop shaft will need to come out.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Went out to do some more winterzing on the boat today. I have enough clearing with the zinc but the entire stern tube is loose and I can rotate it. I guess the prop shaft will need to come out.
you may be able to remove the stern tube from th rear...if you can clean it up and try not to damage it theses things cost about 40 dollars a foot and are sold in a minium footage cant remember how many feet i think it 4 ft ....that is some kind of hi tech fiberglass weave thay use to make it ....try pulling the prop and the zinc and see if you can get it out ..if you can clean everything up and reinstall it wit west system 6-10 or maybe G-flex......good luck...

regards

woody

fa102

Apr 21, 2013
S2 8.0C (keel center board w/ MD7A diesel) long island
The stern is frp. (looks to be the same as on my 1978 S@ 8.
The leak probably due to cracks where the tube meets the keel's trailing edge;
possibly caused by strain on the tube from engine-prop shaft missalignment / excessive engine vibration / etc. etc..
Repair would entail: removing the prop shaft after opening up the shaft stuffing box. (may need to drop the rudder to get the prop shaft out.
removing the stuffing box assembly and the hose that attaches it to the
stern tube.
look for cracks @ / around the tube; properly repair the frp. crack (retain services of a qualified frp. repair tech if you don't have the
check the prop shaft for straightness and wear @ cutlass bearing area.
clean & balance the prop.
install new cutlass bearing (in the stern tube.)
inspect the engine mounts (their cushion material wears / collapses over time); install new mounts as needed.
clean and repack the stuffing box (I like the synthetic packing); get new hose & hose clamps; or install a new dripless type unit.
install a "donut" type shaft zinc (they are shorter than the zinc you use and give some clearance for water flow to the cutlass bearing.
re-assemble all.
*** check & adjust engine alignment (vessel on land & afloat) for correct alignment before running underway.

I have done all of the above work (no shaft tube repair needed) on my
S2 8.0C.

Frank A (Long Island NY)

Sep 12, 2010
Hi Frank. Thanks for the detailed post. If our setups are the same you know how little room there is in the bilge where the prop shaft enters the boat! What a pain!

One question... what are you referring to 'frp'?

fa102

Apr 21, 2013
Hi Frank. Thanks for the detailed post. If our setups are the same you know how little room there is in the bilge where the prop shaft enters the boat! What a pain!

One question... what are you referring to 'frp'?
Your welcome. (all based on my experience and self done work).

frp. abbreviation for fiber-reinforced -plastic / fiberglass; grp. (glass reinforced plastic) is another term used.

Set-up in our boats should be the same. A lift off carpeted 3-sided plywood box (on the sole
in the aft cabin covers the shat stuffing box (in my 1978 8.0C).
The tube's surface pattern (in your photo) looks to be the weave of the cloth laminate.

I disassembled all (including the rudder & steering gear) 5 years ago to install a new cutlass
bearing. Removing the cutlass bearing (typically they don't just slide out after removing the set screws) was a slow delicate process (to avoid damaging the frp. tube); used a hand held fine tooth hack saw blade to make a lengthwise cut through the old bearing (allowed it to be
then pinched & pulled out (a three hour job).
If you don't have a lot of experience with mechanical work you need to find an experienced marine mechanic who has done similar work.

Sep 12, 2010
I removed my stern tube and the bearing as well. It was completely shot...

The stern tube itself looks fine however and I have parts ordered so I anticipate everything going back together fine.

I am stuck though. I need to remove my rudder to get the stern tube and shaft back in properly.

I started taking about the assembly but got stuck here...

I removed the brass ring but I can't figure out how the locking pin is removed. The aluminum housing is attached and welded together and I don't think it can be removed without taking about the structure in the aft cabin.

Any tips or advice? I thought this would be the 'easy' part of the job! Ha!

Thanks.

Jul 30, 2012
S2 8.0C Ocala
When I dropped the rudder in my 79 8.0C I had the same issue of figuring out how to release the rudder. I disconnected the stainless steering cables and the then unbolted the four bolts that securing the steering quadrant. I had a friend on the ground supporting the rudder since I wasn't sure when it would fall loose. Once I removed the four bolts the rudder slipped free along with the square SS stock that locks the quadrant to the rudder post. The rudder weights probably close to 50 lbs so be ready.
IMG_4854.jpg

Sep 12, 2010
When I dropped the rudder in my 79 8.0C I had the same issue of figuring out how to release the rudder. I disconnected the stainless steering cables and the then unbolted the four bolts that securing the steering quadrant. I had a friend on the ground supporting the rudder since I wasn't sure when it would fall loose. Once I removed the four bolts the rudder slipped free along with the square SS stock that locks the quadrant to the rudder post. The rudder weights probably close to 50 lbs so be ready.
View attachment 73203
Wow! Looks like I gave up too fast exploring the setup. This is exactly the info I needed. I'm sure my rudder won't 'slip free' though... sometimes I think I could sail around without any bolts on my boat and it would still stay together! Ha!

I'll post back this weekend my results!

Thanks again!

fa102

Apr 21, 2013
The responses (need to unbolt that bronze quadrant) are correct. Additionally you should loosen the rudder shaft stuffing box all the way. Suggest support the rudder with a scissors jack to lower it down (rudder assembly is quite heavy); hope the boat is blocked high enough.

Recommend remove the bronze stuffing box assembly (the original lag bolts on my boat were rust wasted away. Check the wood core of the molded frp. construction that the shaft log mounts on. Use bronze lag bolts when reinstalling the shaft log; which needs to be set on bedding compound for water tightness. If the original lag screw holes are worn; just rotate the stuffing box flange 90degrees and drill new holes.
Pre-cut new rings of packing (use the rudder shaft as a form to cut the rings to the proper length.) Check / adjust the packing after the boat is afloat and working the steering.

Use marine grade anti seize when reassembling the nuts & bolts.

I see that the steering cable turnbuckles are tightened all the way; it is possible that the cable has stretched.

Bevel (with a fine file) the rudder shaft edge prior to reassembly.

Were there set screws in the frp. stern tube to hold the cutlass bearing in place?
If no you should install 2 small dia. set screws at least 45 degrees apart: Use ss. fine thread set screws with loc-tight; get the correct size drill & tap to create threaded holes in the frp. tube.

Most Important: Make sure that all of the engine mounts are in good condition; if not replace them (if not the new cutlass bearing won't last long). Check engine -shaft coupler
alignment & adjust before launching the boat. Check / adjust again after afloat for a day or two after briefly running the engine in gear.

Good luck.

FA

Sep 12, 2010
I see that the steering cable turnbuckles are tightened all the way; it is possible that the cable has stretched.

Were there set screws in the frp. stern tube to hold the cutlass bearing in place?
If no you should install 2 small dia. set screws at least 45 degrees apart: Use ss. fine thread set screws with loc-tight; get the correct size drill & tap to create threaded holes in the frp. tube.

Most Important: Make sure that all of the engine mounts are in good condition; if not replace them (if not the new cutlass bearing won't last long). Check engine -shaft coupler
alignment & adjust before launching the boat. Check / adjust again after afloat for a day or two after briefly running the engine in gear.

Good luck.

FA
Thanks for the tips! Good observation about the turnbuckles. The cables are actually a little loose. I'll have to look into that.

I have the set screws still. The threads also look good in the stern tube.

fa102

Apr 21, 2013
Thanks for the tips! Good observation about the turnbuckles. The cables are actually a little loose. I'll have to look into that.

I have the set screws still. The threads also look good in the stern tube.
Remember to use a donought type (shorter than the torpedo type you were using) shaft zinc as it provides some clearance to allow sea water
to enter & lubricate the cutlass bearing.

Sep 12, 2010
Got the rudder out! Amazing what happens when you loosen the right bolts! Ha! Got a new mess to clean up though...

Sep 12, 2010
My boat is like an archeological dig. I keep uncovering layers of stuff. I went to the lake today to clean up the stern tube opening and pulled this clump of stuff out.

It is a mix of epoxy, tar paper and cardboard. I suspect some time in the past it was used as a 'form' to pour the epoxy to create a bed for the stern tube to set in. It came from the bottom of the opening in this photo...

The actual hull thickness is only about 1 inch. From the outside you can see the built up epoxy on the sides and it wraps around the top of the opening...

Part of me want's to chip/chisel away the side/top part of the epoxy and start over from scratch. But I can't believe the stern tube was originally only supported by an inch of hull thickness but admittedly I don't know much about boat design. It is going to be difficult to glass in the tube from the bottom because there is very little room to work from the sides and underneath.

Anyone have any thoughts? Any 8.0c owners have some photos of their stern tube setup from inside the boat?

Thanks!