Stern maintenance, vents and thru hulls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2007
- - Bronte Outer Harbour, Canada
So, decided to do a little stern maintenance and of course one thing lead to another. First : my boat is a 1990 Cat 30, does anyone know where to get the clam shell vents that are on the stern for the blower exhaust ? I would prefer to get OEM and not drill any new holes... Second : The drain configuration from the emergency tiller/ steering compartment is completely rediculous, doesn't drain and always gets clogged. Anyone done a modification to this ?

B

Bob

Quadrant Area Cleaning

Scott. Check Catalinadirect.com for the clam shell vent replacements. When you remove the cover to access the steering rudder post quardrant the drain hole is not accessible by hand. On my "88 Mark II model the drain is directly under the quadrant in the center and aft. You need a tiny hand to get to it!! The best suggestion is to watch where the water drains from the transom. On my model I have the scupper drains, engine exhaust and coolant drain, bilge drain and the quadrant area drain. I noted that the quadrant drain allowed a weak almost weeping discharge, meaning clog! My wife from her kayak placed a hose will full water pressure into the drain hole and back flushed all that crud out into the cockpit where it discharged out the scuppers. The area drained much faster after that. You could also use a flexible rod to clear the blockage, but I recommend the pressure water method so you will not damage the rubber drain hose. I do this several times a year now. Consider this a routine maintenance item on your list. With the quadrant area now dry its a good time to inspect the steering cables, pedestal support, rudder post play and allows you to lubricate the cables with dry lube. Bob Catalina 30 Breezin II

Status
Not open for further replies.