steps replacements

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
Very Nice Paul...

Great color and tread pattern. They look like they might be easier to keep clean than the factory pattern and have more Grip...

Nice Job

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Paul, Nice access to the port side lazerette also!

Dec 16, 2011
Catalina 310 Atlantic Highlands
I was going to ask if that access port in the head was a factory item or self-installed. My 2001 doesn't have it, although I have a large access hatch in the aft "cabin" to the port lazarette, and another to the starboard one.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I was going to ask if that access port in the head was a factory item or self-installed. My 2001 doesn't have it, although I have a large access hatch in the aft "cabin" to the port lazarette, and another to the starboard one.
It's not factory. It is something Paul added. If you look back in the old posts on the 310 forum you will see a nice lengthy thread on it with photos.

On that note, it is worth spending a rainy day reading all of the past posts. There is a lot of good info there. I did that my first year I owned a 310 and got a lot of useful info that has helped me many times.

JK

Dec 16, 2011
Thanks, JK, but with a 5-year-old and an 8-year-old I don't get a lot of rainy day reading time to myself... ;-)

Aug 24, 2009
I have been meaning to post these, as I followed the lead of those who went, and cut before. This is how my project turned out. I used a smaller access hatch, but one sized to pass through the crock pot and electric fry pan that we keep out of site, as well as a number of small bins of repair parts.

The steps that I took:
I made a plywood mock up of the outer face of the hatch, and marked center points in that plywood for the hole saw to match the radius of the hatch.

I then moved my "Model" around until I had approval from the boss, and marked the four center holes.

Using the proper hole saw, I cut in the holes as shown.

Using a vibrating saw, and plastic blade - I connected the tangents of the holes that were drilled in.

A little clean up - pop in the hatch, and drill the mounting screws with the hatch as a guide. I used screws and acorn nuts on the back side to avoid a sharp hand hook seeing our reaching in there often.

I then got (no photo sorry) a large bin that would fit, and cut down the one edge so that you can pass items into it via the hatch. Loaded this from the cockpit locker. This way everything is inside that bid for the most part, and it is secure not to move around as we heel.

Anyway, this was the finished project - posted at last.

Russ
s/v Long Story

Attachments

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
OK, big thread drift.

But on the topic of this hatch to access that tough to reach area, I have gone back and forth a dozen times. I would like to have better access to this area but my problem is that this lazarette is the only storage besides the propane lockers that are separate from the living space of the boat. Therefore it is the only place besides on deck that is really safe for the storage of gas cans, chemicals and propane. So those of you that have done this upgrade, where are you storing those type of things?

Aug 24, 2009
JK - your at the disadvantage in that your (as lucky as it might be) living on your boat. I store most of the items you noted in a dock box on shore.

The hatch does have a seal, (it is a water tight hatch) and it was also set in sealant. I know not 100% approved. I do keep some small propane bottle in there for the grill. (always remove the regulator so it does not get turned on) but that is about it for chemicals.

The tank or gas for the dinghy we keep under the transom seat, or in that spot when the seat is not there. Don't know if I would want gas in that locker even if it was not connected via the hatch.

You can see in the photos, or if you look around in that locker that it is not sealed. There is plenty of vapor path to the hull, and liner, that make this unsafe for storing the items you speak about.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
JK - your at the disadvantage in that your (as lucky as it might be) living on your boat. I store most of the items you noted in a dock box on shore.

The hatch does have a seal, (it is a water tight hatch) and it was also set in sealant. I know not 100% approved. I do keep some small propane bottle in there for the grill. (always remove the regulator so it does not get turned on) but that is about it for chemicals.

The tank or gas for the dinghy we keep under the transom seat, or in that spot when the seat is not there. Don't know if I would want gas in that locker even if it was not connected via the hatch.

You can see in the photos, or if you look around in that locker that it is not sealed. There is plenty of vapor path to the hull, and liner, that make this unsafe for storing the items you speak about.
Good points. I had just assumed this area was sealed but never really looked. I guess I am going to climb in here this weekend and take a look around. If it's not sealed then I am going to put in a hatch like you did.

That would mean the gas cans are always going to be on deck but that might be the best solution anyways.

Thanks and sorry for thread hijacking.

Jesse

Dec 16, 2011
I thought that the place to store stove propane was in the hinged storage "box" on the stern. The one without the galley stove propane tank in it. There is a drain overboard at the bottom of that storage area so if there is a propane leak it flows overboard and not into the cabin/bilge. I don't have a stern pulpit stove yet (prior owner took his), but it looks like 1-2 propane canisters should fit there, completely separate from the cabin. Is this where people keep them?

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
:redface: Sorry Paul

Back do the fact's where did you get that tread material?
Lewmar Treadmaster Diamond Sheets from Fisheries or Defender.

Still have a little more than half sheet left..............

paulj
:troll:

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Good points. I had just assumed this area was sealed but never really looked. I guess I am going to climb in here this weekend and take a look around. If it's not sealed then I am going to put in a hatch like you did.

That would mean the gas cans are always going to be on deck but that might be the best solution anyways.

Thanks and sorry for thread hijacking.

Jesse
http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=630640&highlight=drain

paulj :troll:

May 3, 2008
Catalina 310 Catawba Island
Paul: Nice job! Did you use the treadmaster with the self adhesive or did you apply a different adhesive? How did you remove the old treads?

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Paul: Nice job! Did you use the treadmaster with the self adhesive or did you apply a different adhesive? How did you remove the old treads?
I went with the self adhesive.........the glue method was a two part epoxy thing.

I used a hair dryer to remove and peel back the old steps and used the old steps for a pattern.

paulj
:troll:

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
By the way, I like the railing you added to Paul. I just fell down my stairs the other day when in a rush. Still sore. Does that clear the galley counter?