stepping mast

Jan 30, 2014
Stepping my mast for the first time. I need rigging specs and or advice on shroud tension/ mast rake ect.
Not racing just cruising the SF bay.very windy.
Standard rig with racing package.
Right now I have stock main with 155 headsail.

Jul 9, 2013
First, keep the 155 in the bag. Too much cloth for SF Bay. Hopefully get a blade or 135.

There are many suggestions on this board (use the Search function in the upper right) for stepping tips and rig tune set-ups.

But I like the Ullman tuning guide best of all: http://www.ullmansails.com/upload/Capri ... 0Guide.pdf

You'll want maximum mast rake on the fin keel, standard rig - but make sure you have enough turnbuckle left to put your pins through to lock it.

Good luck with the boat on the Bay!

I'm just up the hill a bit in Grass Valley where we sail on Scotts Flat Lake, Folsom Lake and hit regattas from Whiskeytown (Redding) to Huntington (but its empty this year) and Lake Tahoe. Do you have a road worthy trailer?

May 3, 2008
Catalina Capri 22 Half Moon Bay
Tom,

How did it go with the mast stepping?
I didn't sail over the weekend, but got down to Santa Cruz last week.
My new bay area launch site is Berkeley, so we'll have to plan a meeting in Clipper Cove or something.

May 3, 2008
Catalina Capri 22 Half Moon Bay
My backstay ( turnbuckle ) is loosened during the mast raising and lowering.
...this provides enough play to connect / disconnect the forestay.
I then tighten the backstay to put about 4 inches of rake in the mast.
( I don't have a racing type backstay adjuster )

Jan 30, 2014
Hi James, just stepped the mast here in the yard to finish tweaking all the rigging and making the changes I want.also waiting for my self tailing winches to come in.
I'll be putting in water over the long weekend.
If all goes well I'll contact you, it would be a nice sail over to Treasure Island.