step repair/replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ralph Pilsbury

I am in the process of getting the oday into the water. The boat was bought over five years ago and the only water it has seen is all the rain, snow, and ice it has captured. Right now, it seems as if the next thing to do is to replace the step. It looks totally rigged, and the "replacement" step that looks like it came from Marden's isn't even secure. I believe in fixxing things right the first time. Now, I think that I remember some company out of Mass or rhode island that made mast/step replacement parts components. Any help is appreciated on this. Also, I guess, if anyone has any tips on an initial checklist that i can go down during this very extended drydock period. looks like all the turnbuckles are intact, but now that i think of it I am going to need a couple of spreaders, i think they are called they are at the top of the mast. Can I buy those at any marina/boatyard or is it a special order depending on the mast?

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

stuff

hey - congrats on being almost ready for the water. the first time you see the boat float will make all the time spent getting it there feel inconsequential. 1. what does the fitting on the mast look like? Is it the two pin tabernackle job? Look at http://www.dwyermast.com/MASTS/dm2.htm. These are probably the correct fittings. If so, dwyer can set you up with what you need. Even if not, Dwyer can probably help you but it may take two pieces of hardware instead of one. 2. Take your rigging to a rigger for inspection. The cash spent on the analysis is cheap insurance. 3. Either the rigger or Dwyer should be able to set you up with spreader stock. You may need to cut it to length. There is not trick to it other than chamfering the edges so you don't cut up your running rigging. 4. Do you have the trailer? We could get together and go over the boat if you want. I could also help you launch it and play sheppard with my Zodiac if you like. I am in Falmouth, so it should only be about an hour and half to get up to Skowhegan or down here. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

J

Jim Cook

Make-Ready check list

Cruising World (April 2000) had a Spring Make Ready check list. Check your library. It was 2 pages (with a large diagram). It might be a good place to start. Ditto... on Justin's comment about having a rigging company check your standing rigging. Good Luck. JimC PS. I live in Corpus Christi, TX but my father's family is from the Skowhegan area (now mostly in Oakland though). Maybe we can visit, next time I come up.

M

Mark

Oday Hardware

In response to your need for replacement parts for your 19 footer, there is a company that sells original replacement parts for most (if not all) sizes of Oday sail boats. Contact: D & R Marine, Inc. Ph. #: 508-644-3001 I ordered spreaders for my Daysailer from them and they came cut to the proper size and all the holes were pre-drilled. Along with the spreaders they sent a replacement parts/price list that included every single part found on a daysailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.