Steering Wheel Replacement 1986 C30 TR

Dec 1, 2021
Catalina 30 Lake Murray
Looking to replace my 28" Destroyer wheel.
Existing Edson pedestal on my 1986 Catalina 30 Mark 1 TR.
Want to scale down at least to a 22 or even a 20".
My only complaint about the C30 design is the narrow clearance around the wheel.
Every time I walk past it I whack my knee or have to swing around the pedestal while I'm trying to get past it.
My C30 Mentor says the 20 will be too small when it blows, 22" should work.
Local lake fresh water, Not scared of wind, but above 25 I'm dropping sails and motoring back to the house.
Any help on the shaft size on the wheel hub? I found a pdf on Edson site says it is a tapered shaft, Think it is a 1" shaft with a 3/4 nut, as best as I am able to determine.
Can someone far more experienced than me give me some input on wheel sizing and the shaft.

Tks,
Captain Red
1986 Catalina 30 Mark 1 TR
Columbia Sailing Club
Lake Murray, SC

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
My '89 C30 had a 1" straight shaft (some are tapered), which is the most common size I believe. 20 - 22 inch wheels are pretty small but I agree the room around the wheel on the C30 is limited.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Folks get the bigger wheel so that they have command of the wheel from the high side as the boat heals. They are not steering from behind the helm, but from the side deck of the cockpit, so that they can see where they are going. When the heel gets above 15º, they have one hand on the pulpit and one on the wheel cheering the boat on into the wind.

The compromise is that you find yourself stepping on the seat to get around behind the helm.

If you find a smaller wheel keep the old one around, while you experience steering with a smaller wheel.

An alternative is to find a 28" folding wheel. It might be the best of both worlds.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Folks get the bigger wheel so that they have command of the wheel from the high side as the boat heals. They are not steering from behind the helm, but from the side deck of the cockpit, so that they can see where they are going. When the heel gets above 15º, they have one hand on the pulpit and one on the wheel cheering the boat on into the wind. ...
Your point about being able to sit on the combing to steer is very valid but I almost never sit on the high side. It is low side for me.

Attachments

Dec 1, 2021
Catalina 30 Lake Murray
My '89 C30 had a 1" straight shaft (some are tapered), which is the most common size I believe. 20 - 22 inch wheels are pretty small but I agree the room around the wheel on the C30 is limited.
I send inquiry to Edson Tech support about the shaft, awaiting response.
Familiar with the advantages of reach with larger diameter wheel when heeling.
I had some good times sailing my Hobie 33 with the mast parallel to the water.
Have not seen a smaller folding wheel anywhere, would appreciate a source if someone had a link.
Believe Im going to cut a 22" cardboard circle cutout and paste it on the existing wheel to get a feel for the sizing & Clearance before I make a bad decision.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Pull the wheel and look, just don't let the keyway fall out and bounce between your feet out the open transom :facepalm:. I've been on a C30 had a real small wheel like that and it would take a stronger man than me to enjoy it.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
+1 for the low side.

You could also mark the spokes with tape at 20” and 22” and try steering touching only those points. That will give you an idea on the reach and whether you still have enough leverage when weather helm increases.

Dec 1, 2021
Catalina 30 Lake Murray
Measured yesterday. Amazed the wheel came right off without a wheel puller. 1" straight shaft, no taper. 22" will let my leg pass without having to climb over& step on the seat. Going to order one today.
I generally steer with my toes when Im on the high side anyway.
CaptainRed