steering the 26x

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

robert

I am new to sailing and the 26x is my first boat. I find that the steering requires a great deal of force to make heading changes. It felt as though the motor was resting on the steering linkage,but was not. I even tried using only one rudder as I moved along at 5 kts,still I was exhausted as I muscled each steering input. Is this normal for the 26x or am I missing some basic helmsmanship? WIPED OUT TIRED ON THE CHESAPEAKE! HELP.

D

dan

Tough Steering!

Hi Robert... Sounds about right to me. Moving a 200lb+ motor in the tilt up position and (2)rudders is a lot of mechanics to move. I kind of got used to it. Just grease everything up real good and steer less drastically. Let the boat come around as you have the time and room. Leave both rudders in the water to improve response. Leave ballast in, rudders down and centerboard down 25% when motoring at slow speeds, specially when trying to get in to a slip. Will really help with not needing to over pilot. Make sure none of the controls wires are binding on your steering. happy muscle building........dan

M

Malcolm

No Problem

Robert, I have a new 26X (2002, #4945) with a 200# Honda and I have no problem with steering. What type of steering does your boat have? Is it drum or rack-and-pinion? From other posts, the steering cables may bind in their sheaths. Could this be your problem? Some people have replaced their cables. Others have greased them.

R

robert

pumping iron

Dan, I was pleased by your response concerning the difficult steering of the 26x while under sail. I will apply grease to the steering system and begin working out at the local gym. Robert

R

robert

Malcolm Iam sure you will enjoy your new 26x.The steering is only a problem with motor up and both rudders down while under sail. I really have to muscle heading changes.I am 6 foot 240 lbs and I played hockey in your hometown of Edmonton a few years ago.Dan says he got used to the heavy steering.I hope there may be another Mac owner to confirm this.I believe the steering is rack and pinion

B

billy w

Steering 26X

My 2000 26X helm is so easy under power and sail that my wife handles it easily with one hand. When sailing, I disconnect the motor bar from the tiller steering bar and fasten it to the starboard rudder pivot bolt. This holds motor straight and stationary either up or down. You must have something binding or some severe weather or lee helm.

D

dan

Disconnecting the Motor

Robert....... Please consider a 20-30mph gust. You have ALL your mainsail up and lots of jib. You loosen the mainsheet and pilot into the wind to keep from heeling in to the water. You are still out of control..... you NEED the motor to pilot in to the wind to furl the jib and reef the main. This all happens in a SPLIT second and you will not have time to fool around with hooking the motor back up to your steering. This has happened to me and the motor was needed IMMEDIATELY to save the boat from capsize. What sailboat doesn't have immediate use of motor power for SAFETY and COLLISION avoidance? Leave the motor connected to steering for when you forget if you disconnected it! happy heeling.......dan

R

robert

tough steering resolved 26x

The difficult steering was due to the rudder lines working their way under the steering linkage.The lines were not locked down to hold the rudder securely. I have no problem steering and no time to be grunting with the power lifters in the gym. INEXPERIENCE RULES!

Status
Not open for further replies.