steering lock

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mark schaefer

i'm not sure what brand the pedestal is on my 86 28.5..but there is no lock for the helm...what are you guys doing so you can release the helm when you want to dash down to grab a cold one??

S

Stephen Ostrander

helm holder

Ranked in descending order of technical complexity: 1. autopilot 2. wheel brake 3. bungee cord

D

Dan Hutchinson

Sail Trim Helps

My Hunter 31' does have a wheel brake, but the directional stability can be controlled nicely to windward by proper sail trim. On anything from a close reach to close hauled in 8 to 15 knots of wind I can trim my boat to stay on course without touching the wheel indefinitely. Downwind, without an autopilot, it's going to be all over the place with or without a brake!

S

schaefer

no help

have an auto helm but on the blink..don't have a wheel brake..thats what i need..have use the bungee cord..need help with the brake...what for what ever pedestal we have on the 86 28.5..schaefer

R

Ray Squires

Wheel Brake

My 86 285 has a Merriman (Yacht Specialties) wheel with a wheel brake. It works pretty well with a steady wind. On one sail, the family was lounging around on the forward deck. I was able to put on the wheel brake and join them for about 15 minutes - and then I only needed to return to the wheel due to a course change. I have found that using a little brake most of the time reduces arm fatigue. Since Merriman is no longer in business (bought by Edson?), I'm not sure how to get such parts for a retrofit. Based on past posts, if you ask Edson anything about Merriman pedastals, the response is to buy a new Edson. Good Luck

J

Jim McCue

brake

I have same year/model vessel and years ago added a pedestal brake. I had since needed some other Merriman parts and was lucky to find it at Lockwoods Marine in the South Amboy NJ area. Maybe you'll get lucky. J. McCue

A

Alan J

wheel brake replacement

I have a 85 hunter 37c and when i got it it had a yacht specialities wheel without a wheel lock. The pedestal was drilled to accept the lock and I found it on the hunter store on this site. It was easy to install and it fit perfectly

K

Kevin

Wheel Brake

I added a wheel brake to my 86 28.5 last year. I got it from this site and it took about two hours to install. It works great and allows for short absences from the wheel. My pedestal had a red piece of plastis on the right side where the brake hand would extend if originally installed. Good luck on the addition. Kevin

J

Jay Hill

Tall On-Purpose Brunette

5'10" Brown or Hazel Eyes, etc, etc, etc. I can't believe you guys would consider a blonde as an optional wheel lock. If you meant that the blonde can go below for the cold one, well, OK. But as a wheel lock? Come 'on, the purpose of the wheel lock is to hold the wheel steady and hopefully help maintain course. Not a job for a blonde. :)

G

Greg Stebbins

Cutting blondes and no PFD - brave man!

Does my 5 foot tall, 11 year old blonde daughter/helm lock drift because she's 11 or blonde?

J

Jay Hill

I would say it's more of a...

...blonde thang than anything else. :) JUST KIDDING. "why I remember when I was 11 years old. I could hold the helm on course all 8 miles to school in the snow with bare feet. Yep, 8 miles each way, uphill the whole time. Yep, eben hadta reef 'em o'couple o'times when I was carryin' me little brothers and sisters on my back at the same time." or some other ridiculous yarn like that. :)

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
Alleged?!

"Alleged" tall blonde?! Sailor's never lie, only fishermen, remember? One could of course have a Lady Clairol blonde and have the best of both worlds - a blonde AND a steady course. (My wheel lock is a natural blonde, so I have to grab that cold one, and hurry back on deck because her wheel-locking function has a limtited attention span). ;)

G

Greg Stebbins

Alleged ....

When I met my wife (18-yr. old freshman) she was as blond as you could get. Now, 20+ years and 2 kids down the road, she's a brunette and I’m confused. Her hair changed color after the kids, mine started falling out. Obviously, she got first pick.

S

SCOTT VICKERY

Simple

A foot long bungie cord. Wrap it around your pedestal and hook both ends on the wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.