Steering Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

James

I have a 2005 Bavaria 39 which has been a great boat until this weekend. Reversing out of the pen at the yacht club the steering suddenly veered to starboard. Rigged the emergency steering and got out to the middle of the bay to investigate and discovered the ram had snapped clean in 1/2 Has anyone else had a similiar experience or beefed up the steering ram. If so i would appreciate advice on the process and what parts were used.

Dec 6, 2006
Lancer 29 Kemah Texas
Hard Over Not Allowed..

Seems I remember reading somewhere that you cannot go hardover while backing these..Factory says going more than 45 degrees while backing will damage steering system. If I recall correctly. Good Luck & Fair Winds >>> David

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
They designed a system that could fail if you over

steer? and didn't provide stops? Anything much past 45 degrees is close to dragging the rudder sideways in my opinion.

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
No Stops

So your not supposed to steer more than 45 degrees of rudder in reverse, and there are no stops. HHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

J

James

Thanks for the comments

Thanks for the feedback I have asked the shipwright to have a look and see if the steering has any stoppers The manufacturer's rep wasnt aware of any failures like that in the past and was quite shocked. Thanks again for all the thoughts and comments

R

Robbie

Bavaria 42

I suppose this goes for the 42 to also.. I have a 2006..basically the same boat as your 39. No where in the owners manual did I read not to go over 45deg rudder in reverse. Thanks for the warning.

R

Rod

rudder stop

I have a Bavaria 34 and checked the rudder space over the weekend - I have a very substantial, cast metal rudder stop to prevent the yoke from going beyond the required point.

J

James

Update

THe boat is now back together. The Stainless stops are apparently only effective in certain circumstances. Essentially you need to stop the quadrant from moving to far by glassing in a block and connecting to the quadrant at appropriate points by strop (wire or spectra perhaps)at least that is what i have been told not sure how it would work as i have decided to be extremely cautious in reverse rather than incur the expense and hassle. thanks for all the comments

Status
Not open for further replies.