Steering cable problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Francois Machabee

Hello again, I have need for some information on the steering setup on the Oday37CC. My Edson pedestal leads two black cables with the SS cable inside through the engine compartment, out via the port side in the AFT cabin via the locker and finally under the AFT berth to the rudder wheel attachment. Both cables go through, side by side via a sort of large white plastic hollowed-out bolt through which the SS cable runs and turns towards the wheel. One of the plastic bolt is broken and the SS cable now chafes directly against the metal bolt holder and is starting to show some signs of wear (a few strands are broken). Does anyone know where I can find these and if not, if I can use a turning block instead? I know D&R might have them and I will call. Also, I noticed some water at the base of the rudder stock. Is this normal? Thanks!

P

Peter J. Brennan

Chec Edson

They have been very helpful to me in the past on the phone and in writing. As for water at the base of the rudder stock, just where would that be exactly? Does your rudder gland have a grease fitting?

F

Francois Machabee

Still not sure...

Hi Peter, I have checked with Edson, and from what I can see, this is a custom fitting even for an O'Day. I guess it was done when a holding tank was put in at the dead center, under the aft cabin berth. They had to move the cables to Port to fit the thing in and not have a mess. Edson makes horizontal, stackable sheaves (6 inches in diameter, bronze). I will replace those home made gizmos with two of these which will stop the chafing, make the steering a little easier, and hopefully be more in line with other installations. The water is in the tube in the middle of the steering wheel on top of which you can put the emergency tiller (I think that is the rudder stock). I don't know how much of it there is, but I was going to clean it out of there. Where would I look for the grease fitting for the rudder and where would the gland be situated so that I can look next time that I go see the boat? The boat is currently on the dry so I am not worried for now and last year it did not seem to leak into the boat at all. Thank you !

P

Peter J. Brennan

Mine to port too

The steering cables, which appear to be armored cables actually, exit the pedestal below the cockpt deck and angle their way to port and through the port side of the engine room bulkhead, through the hanging locker and under the aft berth to the steering quadrant. They were never moved to accomodate a holding tank (we have a Lectrasan under the berth). In any case the postion of the pumpout deck plate is to starboard indicating that a holding tank would have been in the engine room. The grease fitting is on the forward side of the fiberglass tube around the rudder post under the quadrant. Plenty of room there to mess around.

F

Francois Machabee

Thanks!

Beautiful! I will check when I get a chance to go and look at the boat again. Does yours have the same kind of machines plastic bolts with the SS cable running through them?

Status
Not open for further replies.