Stay sail ( Solent sail ) for Beneteau Oceanis 461

Sep 17, 2011
Beneteau 461 Turkey, Istanbul
Hello. Has anybody had an experience of adding a stay sail or solent sail for Beneteau Oceanis 461.
I would be very glad to hear about your installation.
Thank you in advance.
Mahir

Oct 27, 2010
E-22 e-22 Stratford
We have built staysl's for the 461's...you'll need the anchor bulkhead mount from Beneteau, a quick release mechanism (selden has a nice one or Johnson Marine) and the stay. Mast is already set up for stay.
Hank on staysl' with a ready bag and if you're inclined you can put a reef in the staysail and get it pretty close to storm jib size.
bob pattison

Sep 17, 2011
Beneteau 461 Turkey, Istanbul
Thank you Bob. I can see that there is a place for the stay on the mast, at the second spreader. But then, I need to set up runner in order to support the mast. How did you do it? Did you use furling and swivel? Is it possible to share some photos when you have?
Would be great help.
Thank you in advance.
Mahir Gunsiray

Oct 27, 2010
E-22 e-22 Stratford
Mahir,
The US Spars (z-spar) mast are normally configured with the inner stay attachment being near the mast head...usually about 50cm below the forestay..but depends on the boat. You can check with US spars on this.
In this way you do not need runners.
But it makes it an impractical cutter rig, as the inner forestay is only a meter or so aft of the forestay and at the top quite close. So trying to tack a genoa through this would be a bear. That's why most folks go to the removable innerstay, bringing out when needed and not putting furling on it.
I'll have to dig around to see if we have any pictures.
bob