State of the Art for Replacement Sails

Jul 18, 2013
I need new sails. Main and a roller-furling 135%. SRFK
The current blown-out rags are probably 30 years old and one of them has already been patched several times and then cut up into a CP22 flag.
I just mess around in my CP22 (except when there's another boat on the lake then it's always a race).
Mountain lake sailing means we can go from inversion/drifting to 20kts pretty suddenly.
Like most guys, I think I know a lot but I don't actually sail enough to be very good, so a "wide trimming sweet spot" would be good.

Options seem to be...
  • North Sails (etc) racing/top shelf - Last time I checked these were far more expensive than I prefer.
  • Local Lofts (one sailmaker used to be a regular on the CP22 forum) (Ullman?)
  • Catalina Direct
  • Discount shops direct from China
  • Used sail warehouse
Anybody have strong opinions and/or valuable experience-based knowledge to share regarding
  • Materials
  • Suppliers/Lofts
  • Reliability/Service
Thanks guys, BillL

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I am not really sure for your boat, location or sailing plan.

I bought a new main sail from Northsail a few years ago. It was my first sail purchase, and wanted a little bit of hand holding and personal expertise. They also made some good recommendations on adding a Tides mArine Strong track to go with my new full-batten main. When I had a little issue with the headboard catching in my topping lift (requiring me to drop the sail a few inches every time I tacked) they made a modification at no charge.

When I needed a new jib last winter, I went back to a North Sail, mostly because of the customer support. I did check all of the on-lofts (Precision, for one), and negotiated with NS some. I felt like I got, good price for the sail, and I rewarded them some for their customer service.

Most lofts make a lot of different sails…from cutting edge laminates to plain Jane (but hopefully long wearing):Dacron cruising sails (high is what I bought),

Good luck, you will really appreciate new sails!

Greg