Starting a yanmar 4jh2e after 3 years?

Nov 22, 2023
kelly peterson 44 sarasota
Anyone have experience on this? Ive seen some say a diesel engine shouldn't have a problem starting up, assuming it's not seized? I've read to shut off the fuel and let it run for a little to get the oil moving. Also ive heard these engines dont hand crank right?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The engine does not have compression release so it is not easily hand crankable (?).. Check oil and then have the "engine stop" engaged.. hit the starter until the oil pressure warning light goes out.. let the starter rest a few minutes then crank it up normally. I have started the a Yanmar QE series after about 6 years of sitting .. no problem..
Some of that model had a casting defect in the heat exchanger that would allow water to get into the engine but if that one was running ok when shut down, it probably will start easily.. Good Luck!

Nov 22, 2023
kelly peterson 44 sarasota
The engine does not have compression release so it is not easily hand crankable (?).. Check oil and then have the "engine stop" engaged.. hit the starter until the oil pressure warning light goes out.. let the starter rest a few minutes then crank it up normally. I have started the a Yanmar QE series after about 6 years of sitting .. no problem..
Some of that model had a casting defect in the heat exchanger that would allow water to get into the engine but if that one was running ok when shut down, it probably will start easily.. Good Luck!
Perfect thank you. Now with the casting defect, are there certain years that are defected? Or are there certain symptoms I should look out for when the engine is running?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
It’s possible it might start up and run fine after doing what Kloudie suggested. It’s also possible one or more rings are going to unseat or something else might be problematic. Why take the chance?

You would be safer pulling the injectors, have them tested and run some light oil into the cylinders to soak before trying to crank it. Engines are too expensive to depend on luck.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I am not familiar enough with that engine to know which are or may be impacted .. Check the oil carefully before hitting the starter, looking for water in the oil.. check again after oil pressure builds and you are letting the starter rest.. any sign of brown, milky stuff on the dipstick would mean there is water in the oil.. after it is started and waarmed up, recheck oil.. change the oil and filter after it is warmed and has run for a few minutes. If still no milkiness, you probably don't have any problem with the exchanger...

• Helpful