Starter Motor Access on a Passage 450

• Thread starter George Fletcher
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

George Fletcher

I have a 450 built in '98, hull #176, with a Yanmar Turbo diesel aux installation. I like the boat however, I have had real problems with access to certain items on the engine that cause me concern in regard to a long passage. The raw water pump is a real "bear" to access and change a simple maintenance item such as the impeller. In a seaway with a "hot" engine room, I would say it is practically impossible. At the dock, it is a blind operation that is difficult at best. Of more concern, is access to a "failed" starter motor. Normally, carrying a spare on a voyage I was wondering if someone can give me some idea as to how I can access this and change it while at sea, or at the dock for that matter. Is there someone at Hunter that I should be talking to that might be able to offer some help? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

J

John Van Stone

Through Shower

George: You are correct it is impossible to get to the starter on this boat. I burned out my starter and the only way that we could figure out how to change it was to cut a hole in the shower stall and access it through that. I then installed and access plate in the 8 inch hole that I made. The raw water impeller can be changed but it is as you say a real bear.

G

George Fletcher

Thanks John

John, I appreciate the info. I believe there are quite a few of us that own 450's with the Yanmar installed that don't yet realize the severity of this problem. This boat is and was advertised as a "passage" vessel. What would be the impact of losing a starter, or impeller at sea, in bad conditions when the aux was needed to maintain steerage? Spare or not, an impeller failure or starter failure could prove life threatening. Does that sound like a "passage" boat? A lot of people have made "light" of this access issue. When you leave the dock behind you are placing everything in your faith in your vessel and your skills. Without access, even a skilled mechanic would be in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.