Starter issues- 1982 Yanmar

Feb 2, 2022
Beneteau First28 356 Cedar Mills Marina
Went sailing Saturday morning, 30 degree weather. Left the slip without starting the 2GM. After a couple hours on the water with stereo on and dying wind, tried to start motor. It cranked twice, then I lost all power. After getting back into slip under mainsail, I plugged into shore power and let battery charge a while. Turned engine key to start, but when I hit starter button, the steady tone signal went to a weak stutter, engine did not crank. Battery replacement is easy enough, but if I damaged starter relay, might be harder to find a matching part.
Thoughts or advice welcome

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Let the battery charge overnight and check the fluid level.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Sounds like a dead battery or possibly bad connections from the battery to the starter motor. I doubt you damaged the starter. Time to get the voltage meter out.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Yeah, let the batteries charge first and see what happens. Do you have any sort of battery monitor on them?

The other big issue is the starting circuit wires…could be oxidation on the terminals (batteries, starter, etc.) or the white wire that goes from the panel to the starter. A known issue with Yanmars.

I have not replaced mine, but it is on the to do list. You could try to jump the starter directly to see if it the batteries or the wiring.

Greg

Feb 2, 2022
I'll be back at the boat this weekend. Bought a group 24 deep cycle to take with me. Previous owner had installed an inexpensive car battery. Am buying a 4 way battery switch to end up with 2 bank system (not this weekend ). Will have digital voltmeter when I head to the boat. Is it possible I damaged the relay?

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I'll be back at the boat this weekend. Bought a group 24 deep cycle to take with me. Previous owner had installed an inexpensive car battery. Am buying a 4 way battery switch to end up with 2 bank system (not this weekend ). Will have digital voltmeter when I head to the boat. Is it possible I damaged the relay?
The momentary use of the relay should not have damaged it.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Battery replacement is easy enough, but if I damaged starter relay, might be harder to find a matching part.
I like to consider one issue at a time. You can easily get ahead of your self and consider fixing things that may not need fixing. It is a trap called project creep.

Work the battery plan. Then test. I try not to fix things that are not broken.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Known issue with the schittie multi connectors in the engine harness. First try engaging the starter solenoid directly with a “remote starter button “ . Then you will probably find relief with a relay fix as many have .

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Is it possible I damaged the relay?
No, not due to undervoltage as you seem to have had. And this is most likely due to terminal corrosion.

As mentioned above, start with the simplest first BECAUSE the simplest is usually the cheapest in terms of materials.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
First of all 30 degree weather diminishes the power capacity of a battery, 2nd) the engine oil thickens as the temperatures drop and increases the drag on the starter motor. Your engine must have a compression lever, when battery is weak activate the compression release to get the engine turning and then drop the lever (hard to do when sailing solo). Now, first fully charge the battery, using a load tester determine if the battery is good, weak or bad. If fully charged and weak or bad replace it. The starter relay is pretty hardy so I doubt you damaged it. Open up the throttle lever to 2/3 and crank the engine. If it still does not turn fast enough to start check the voltage at the relay connectors, dirty connectors and fouled wiring are a common cause. Worn brushes and starter motor would also be a possibility. If the relay makes a ticking noise it is usually good but receiving low voltage. If it does not tick is getting no voltage, pointing to old wiring harness from push button control panel to starter relay. Good luck.

Attachments

Feb 2, 2022
Thanks, all. Much good advice here. Fair winds to all of you. I'll post an update when fixed. Have first spring regatta on Saturday, and can always sail out and back in, with favorable winds, lol.