Start engin alarm ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 20, 2008
Catalina 30mkIII austin
Not sure whats up. When I was out After running the engin for about 2 hours, stopped and had lunch. Went to start the motor and when i turned the key on got an alarm and red light came on at key that says oil pressure. The engin not running at the time.Had plenty of oil. Maby seprate,The batterys stay on a charger and the boat almost didnt start. tester says its barly in the green. New to this boat , Thirdly , When the charger is on Does the battry switch need to be on both? Maby just bad batterys , but could be me.... Thanks for any help. Steve

Aug 26, 2007
Hunter 41DS Ventura, California
Alarm

The red light and alarm are supposed to come on with no oil pressure so normal when key on and not running. The battery was most likely not fully charged, depleted during your lunch break or needs to be replaced.

May 31, 2004
Watkins MKII 27 New Bern NC
Alarm goes on till oil pressure comes up

Normally your alarms start as soon as you energize the circuit by turning the key. When the engine starts, the alarms will cease. Sometimes if you have turned off the engine without allowing it to cool down first by idling and then start it again the temperature alarm will sound until enough cool water is drawn to cool the engine below the temperature alarm threshold. I would think that oil pressure alarms should cease immediately after the engine starts unless you have a problem. As for your battery almost not starting your engine, if the boat is new to you then the batteries where probably not cared for properly by the previous owner or they are at the end of their service life. The battery switch does not need to be in the "Both" position to charge from your AC charger.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The answer to your battery switch position

re your charger simply CAN NOT be answered by ANYBODY on this message board. That's because we don't know how your boat is wired. YOU need to do some investigation on your boat to find out.

Mar 20, 2008
Catalina 30mkIII austin
thanks

Thanks everyone, I think the batterys may be getting old.There on the charger all the time ,there not dry, and only show a charge on 1/2 to 3/4. Hard to get info in austin,the only dealer for catalina knows nothing about boats over 22' Thanks Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.