Standing Rigging

Feb 28, 2022
Catalina 22 12482 Champaign-Urbana, IL
Well, I got my mast stepper in today and took it over to storage to see about raising the mast, but as I walked around the boat and took a closer look at all of the rigging, I think I'm going to need to replace a fair amount of the hardware.

Several of the screws that are part of the turnbuckles are bent; in fact, a lot of them are bent. Which is odd, because the turnbuckle bolts on the deck are mounted the correct way, pointing towards the mast.

I will hold onto the hardware as a backup for the boat, but is there a point to piecing this out? Should I save the turnbuckles and try to replace the screws first? I suspect most of the rigging is original to the boat (1984), so I'm inclined to get an entire set of standing rigging. The spreaders have the updated steel brackets (not the aluminum cast that would break). But I may just get some extra hands and raise the mast at storage to get a better assessment of how everything appears all up and in position.

I have all the photos in my signature if anyone wants to look. Some of them are REALLY bent. :/

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
+1 on new standing rigging. CD's pricing is reasonable, and includes open-body turnbuckles to replace the closed-body ones in some of your pictures. You already have the new-style chainplate bolts with screws holding them in position (so they don't swivel and break the sealant). Nice boat!

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
@brockangelo the lower toggles bend often if the cables snag on the way up. I keep a few spare just incase on hand. I would raise the mast to verify you have all the parts and then replace rigging as needed. CD does have good rigging though for the backstay its easier to have it made locally. If you want to swage it yourself you can make all your own stays at WM using the nicopress sleeves.

To avoid bending them in the future use bungies to hold them upright across the cabin top or tie a small bit of line through the toggle so they cant "fall" over. Or just take it easy and watch as you lift. If you see one jamming stop and correct it.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
If you decide you need to replace the backstay as well, note that it is not included in the CD standing rigging kit. And, unlike the standing rigging kit, I found CD's price for backstays to be a little out of line. I did an Amsteel version I think is better for about half the price. I couldn't tell from your pictures if you already have an adjustable backstay, but if not, it's a worthwhile upgrade. Plus, you get to play with Amsteel, which is easy to splice, and a good skill to learn (but it's not class-legal if you want to race one-design).

Feb 28, 2022
Thanks. The adjustable backstay is one thing I’m not quite ready to do at that price, but after I get the mast up I’ll see how I’m doing. I might be more inclined to do your approach

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
Feb 28, 2022
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Great responses! I don't have much to add. I replaced our rigging with the CD kit and was happy. I also sprung for the adjustable backstay, which I had never had before. It's a luxury, not a necessity (as you already know) but once you have one, you'll never want to be without it again.

Feb 28, 2022
I haven't looked closely at the turnbuckles or jaw toggles yet, but how do you decide a left-hand thread vs a right-hand thread? Which should go where?

Feb 28, 2022
Finally was able to get the mast raised with the help of a friend. Last night we were able to get it up and into position, and this afternoon I was able to tighten all of the turnbuckles on all the stays and shrouds. I am really surprised at how slack everything was before tightening them, and even more surprised how well it got taught after tightening the turnbuckles.

The first photo, the one with my wife in it, shows lots of kinks in the lines and you can see the slack. The second one is a lot cleaner lines!

DC8EED6A-053C-4447-AD2F-D3B018456E67.JPG IMG_2081.jpeg

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
@brockangelo Congratulations its looking good. When tightening the stays remember not to over tighten them. Most people will have the stays way over tightened for that they need. North sails has a great tuning guide as does the C22 Tech manual and the Owners Manual.