STANDING RIGGING TUNING

May 3, 2021
beneteau 36cc greenport
I have a Beneteau 36CC (year 2000) and have no info on the rig tension/tuning specs. Does anyone know where I can find this? The boat is virtually perfect and I want to keep it that way. Thanks!!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Usual is to do a static tune to 10% of breaking strength then dynamic tune under sail. Local conditions sometimes dictate variations, San Diego tune is loose for light winds, San Francisco is tight for higher average winds. My rigger and I disagree because I'm from SF in SD and got the tightest rig on the dock, but I like it that way.
I do my own but it's old school straight rig, don't have a clue on swept spreaders, and once asked 3 riggers crewing on a race boat how you tune a B&R and they all just shrugged. I'd encourage you find the very best rigger in your area, not the cheapest or most available.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Buy a loos gauge and follow the directions , like above about 10% of breaking strength save the money on a rigger and spend it on the gauge . I have stepped and tuned my mast for 10 years every year and others no issues . You can always tell who has not tuned right , in high winds the forestay and sail is usually shaking bad

• Helpful

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I agree with the use of a Loos gauge. Just follow the recommended numbers for the gauge setting based on wire size. At the very least, everything will have a consistent starting point and will be repeatable.