Standard vs Tall rig

May 20, 2019
Catalina Capri 18 Oyster Bay
I am interested in the Capri for family daysailing on the Long Island sound and single handed sail. No racing. Would you recommend the standard or tall rig version? Is there a big difference?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Last edited:
  • Helpful
May 20, 2019
thanks. the Fin keel would work best here. we do have light winds in the summer that’s why I am asking. Looking at the datas the tall rig seems a bit over powered. But I would love to hear feedback from owners.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
In general, any boat that comes with a standard/tall rig option is better with the tall rig. Otherwise there would not be the option.

May 20, 2019
still interested in feedback from Capri22 owners Tall vs standard. Anyone? Thank you.

Jul 13, 2011
Capri 22 MK1 659 Canandaigua Lake
I had a tall rig with a wing keel, which is not ideal. It was quite tender so I had a second reef put in at the local sailmaker. The first reef only reduced the area to about equal to a standard rig. The second reef really helped. I now have a standard rig on the boat. I'd say that it doesn't matter much if you have the second set of reef points in the tall rig.

Apr 20, 2021
Catalina Capri 22 Augusta
I have a tall rig fin keel. Good in all winds. I have a standard rig main, tall rig main, jib, and 135. In heavy air, I run the stnd rig main and jib with 2 people - no trouble