stalling engine

Sep 3, 2012
Catalina 310 Marina del Rey, CA
I have a catalina 30 with universal 25 diesel engine. On starting in runs for a moment then quits. I have replaced the fuel filters, the fuel pump, air pump and cleaned the pickup line in the tank. Nothing worked. My question what could the problem be? What do I need to do? I am at wits end.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Check your tank vent. Mud wasps love to build in them. With our venting, the tank develops a vacuum and won't feed enough fuel to sustain running the engine. After the engine stops, the vacuum releases and enough fuel will available to start but then the process Groundhog Days...

Sep 3, 2012
Thank you for help . I'll give these suggestions a go. Keeping my fingerss crossed

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
I agree with the previous suggestions. Had the fuel/air leak, had the ball check problem as well. Found the air leak by temporary use of a 2" length of clear tubing just before the high pressure pump. Air leaks in the delivery system will be visible. Don't forget to remove this temp tubing.

Also could be a screen on the fuel pickup tube.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Not sure about your M25 on the C30, but on the C310, with the M25xpb, the low oil pressure switch is set up so that the lift pump operates as long as oil pressure is sufficient. Perhaps something going on with your switch or the oil pressure?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@cloydmilton I know you’re not new to this activity. Diesel engines for all there parts and functions are really simple systems.

They need clean fuel, a source of air, and adequate compression to ignite the fuel.

What you describe sounds like lack of fuel. Find a place to start, I suggest the fuel tank. Examine the tank pick up pipe to assure it is not clogged. Progress along the path of the hose checking, as suggested by @Davidasailor26 , to the engine for leaks or clogs. Filters and the hoses entering the filter can capture goop. The fuel lines right up to the injectors are vulnerable to air/fuel leaks.

It can feel tedious but the process is important to eliminate the problem.

Sep 3, 2012
@cloydmilton I know you’re not new to this activity. Diesel engines for all there parts and functions are really simple systems.

They need clean fuel, a source of air, and adequate compression to ignite the fuel.

What you describe sounds like lack of fuel. Find a place to start, I suggest the fuel tank. Examine the tank pick up pipe to assure it is not clogged. Progress along the path of the hose checking, as suggested by @Davidasailor26 , to the engine for leaks or clogs. Filters and the hoses entering the filter can capture goop. The fuel lines right up to the injectors are vulnerable to air/fuel leaks.

It can feel tedious but the process is important to eliminate the problem.
Thanks makess sense. As soon as rain stops I'm on it.