Stainless Steel bolt markings

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 20, 2007
Catalina 22 Henderson NY
I have some ss bolts that are of different sizes, but they have the same markings on the head. They have the markings of F593C on the top and THE under them. Can anyone tell me what these are. I know it has nothing to do with the size of the bolt, but other than that I have no idea. Thanks Dale

Jan 15, 2007
Tartan 34C Beacon, NY
It’s a tradeoff between strength and corrosion resistance

Type 316 stainless is more corrosion resistant then 304 but 304 is stronger. The F593C marking means the bolt was made to meet an ASTM standard defining what it’s made of and how strong it will be. A superior bolt then the common hardware store bolt. All the best, Robert Gainer

May 20, 2007
Catalina 22 Henderson NY
Thanks Robert

Thanks Robert. As always you are a great source of information. Thanks again Dale

Sep 19, 2006
SCHOCK santana27' lake pleasant,az
not neceserily stronger but it meets that

particular standard. a grade 8 is stronger than an A325 structural bolt but isnt rated for that purpose dont know why?

Jan 15, 2007
Tartan 34C Beacon, NY
sand sailor,

Not sure where you are going with this. Of course bolts are available in many different types. But “grade 8” stainless bolts can’t be made from either 304 or 316 types of stainless and type A325 bolts are steel not stainless steel. If you want “grade 8” stainless bolts you need to use something like 17-4PH stainless. This is a type of stainless that can be hardened where 304 and 316 bolts cannot be hardened and they are what they are and can’t be more then that. Type 304 is stronger then type 316 bolts as far as I know and if you know of a suppler that has something else I would be very interested. All the best, Robert Gainer

Status
Not open for further replies.