Stainless Rub Strake Installation

Jun 10, 2019
Beneteau First 36.7 Marina Village, Alameda
On my First 36.7, I place blocks on amidship pad eyes to lead the fore-guy or sheet to the coach roof winch when running under kite or reaching. The lead isn't completely fair, with the line just barely wearing the coach roof at the transition from vertical to horizontal.

I want to install some stainless rub strakes at this location and am seeking advice if use of screws and adhesive will be strong enough or if pulling the headliner down to bed backing plates and nuts will be necessary for lasting permanent installation.

Attachments

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
with the line just barely wearing the coach roof at the transition
Sounds like minimal forces at play here.

Best to give it the acid test and you hold the strake in position with your finger tips and have someone work the line back and forth to see how much force is in play. If the forces are light, you've got your answer.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Can’t offer any constructive advice other than to suggest the alternative of using “stand-up“ blocks to keep lines off the deck.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Adhesive and screws will work fine.

A bit like this makes it easy to get the screw holes centered in the rub strake holes.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
No need for baking plates. I have a couple of those strakes on my toe rail to prevent chafe on the wood from dock lines. Held in place by a few #10x5/8" self tapping screws. No problems with them.