Stainless or aloominum rivets?

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
Hi guys... I get the idea of using aluminium rivets to mount aluminium components to aluminium spars, but

mounting stainless components onto aluminium spars (the mast and the boom)?

What is the preferred method amongst ya awl?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
For many applications aluminum rivets will not be strong enough and stainless are required; for example, tangs for shrouds.

When mating aluminum and stainless steel it's important to electrically insulated them. For large surfaces thin vinyl tape is good. For rivets, screws, and small parts, TEF Gel is best. Blue Loc-tite can be used as well.

For high-strength, critical applications I prefer Cherry Max stainless rivets. This is for things that will never come apart. For things that may have to be removed you can tap the mast and use a stainless machine screw. Higher strength applications may require a nut on the other side.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Al-oo-min-ee-um ... Say it with us... :poke:

I didn't realise that the non USA version of the C22 was built as a yawl ?

Last edited:
  • Ha
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
We don't have yawl rigged Catalina 22's here in Louisiana, but yall people are aboard them .. ;)
I agree with Jviss ..
sometimes, if the spar section is too thin, using a thick walled insert sometimes gives enough additional purchase to make a very strong joint. They should be insulated too.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
Yes, indeed, I had forgotten. You can get flush stainless steel rivet nuts, like this:

https://www.amazon.com/30PCs-Stainless-Insert-Nutsert-4-20UNC/dp/B077GQLQZ8

I haven't used them, but I imagine I would drill the hole in the aluminum to make a tight, interference fit with the knurl, coat the body with TEF Gel, pound it in with a hard plastic mallet, and tighten a bolt against it to pull the rivet in.
Wow, I have seen similar fixings for house hold fittings through a ceiling board but all plastic or galvanised... this is new to me!

Yawl learn noow thangs evryday! :)

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
I have used the threaded inserts for use in wood, but never these for metal. Looks promising, except that they recommend a special tool to install which is a bit of a turnoff if only installing a few of them. I found this diy method on youtube.