St70 Wind pod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Why do you need the control head for the ST60 wind?
Configure it like this and see the wind data on the C90w chart window via SeaTalk.
Does this make sense, will it work?

Attachments

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
The C90 has to have code to intercept the data words and have a way to display them. You will need to look at the C90 documentation to see if it can do that.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
You may be correct. I have asked Raymarine as an "Insider", we will see what they have to say about it.
"Apparent Wind", "True Wind" it has to be getting this from somewhere? But no mention of Wind Speed?
Attached is what is in the manual.

Instrument and Engine Data Data Pages5 pages available. Pre-defined (Navigation, Waypoint, Route, Fishing or Sailing) or user-configured Data AvailableVessel position, active waypoint, TTG, VMG - Waypoint, depth, COG, SOG, heading, speed, set/drift, trip, log, ground log, ground trip, rudder, local time and date, sea temperature, app wind, true wind, VMG wind, ground wind XTE, compass, locked heading, w Engine Pages5 pages available. Pre-defined (engine, engine and fuel, fuel resources, engine and resources, twin engines or triple engine support) or user-configured. Engine DataTacho, boost pressure, alternator, oil pressure, coolant temperature, engine hours, fuel level (tanks 1 & 2), fuel rate, total fuel, load

Attachments

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
"control head for the ST60 wind"
Depending how old the unit is....The control head powers the the wind unit and the control head gets it's power via Seatalk cable from your new Auto pilot.

Again count the number of cables going to head unit...then count the number wire connections able to come out.

paulj :troll:

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
The pod C70 Pod should provide power from SeaTalk. The problem as Raytheon has indicated is that there is no way to calibrate the data without the St60/70 display/control head, other that that it should work. Being a EE this is a very easy problem to solve with passive components (resistors, capacitors). The direction indicator is nothing more than a variable resistor, and the speed is a rotating magnet, which induces a EMF ( Electro Motive Force) into a sepcial semiconductor device (a Hall Effect Transistor) that is sensitive to magnetic fields. So, as it rotates it creates pulses. The pulses get averaged out in a RC (resistor capacitor) network to create a voltage which is read with a A to D (Analog to Digital Converter) into the control head, the same way digital speedometers work in cars.
I'm still not convinced that the C70w will display wind info, as RP has indicated, the manual is not very clear on this. So that will be the rub on this one. I can do the tweaking in the analog world to calibrate the vane, but is it worth the $139 dollars difference than just buying the farm? Anyway it is always fun to out fox the eng/marketting people at Raymarine!

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
It would appear that Raymarine is using a amplitude-to-phase converter for sine/cosine position of the direction vane, and pulses for the speed as I suspected. According to Raymarine the Rotavecta transducer has a way of using the same pulses for speed and direction thus getting both values from only (2) wires. Not sure why the Wind Vanes have split the data out into (2) for speed and (2) wires for direction (1) shield. My guess is the length of the cables are problematic to the (2) wire approach.
It still may be possible to pull this off, maybe there is a set screw on the shaft that can be loosened and re-positioned to accomplish wind direction adjustment? Has anyone ever inspected the vane to see if this is possible? Adjusting wind speed would be a problem if it is incorrect. I did get conformation from Raymarine that the C90w does in fact provide a data window for wind info; they were not clear about what info would be presented.

Status
Not open for further replies.