ST4000+ and h29.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Doug Allington

Has anyone installed a ST4000+ on a 29.5?? How did the install go? Any specific problems with installation on the 29.5? I would like to install one on my 95 29.5, and am looking B4 leaping! Thanks Doug

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Look at Simard

Look at the Simrad/Navico WP30X before you jump on the ST4000 bandwagon. Same price range and easier installation.

E

Ed Schenck

Yes and no. . . .

to Simrad. I just installed the WP300CX, a Navico before Simrad bought them out. Not the easiest install because my pedestal diameter is too small for the supplied clamps. And getting the wiring down the pedestal and inside was a chore. But it is all self-contained and works really well in light and heavy seas. It has a much higher displacement rating than the 4000 and my boat is 18000. But that should not be an issue with the 29.5. An advantage(disadvantage?) of the A4000 is the separate control/display panel. There is no display on the Simrad. Both can except GPS input(NMEA). Ed(schencked@bfusa.com)

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Same problem ED

Ed: We had the some problem. Then I finally figured out that I was suppose to use the shims that came with the mount. That took care of it. Now on the newer boats they have a completly different type of system. There is not a pedestal per se. Do not know how it mounts but I would be interested in seeing the finished product. As far as getting wires down the pedestal, that is not easy no matter what the brand is. I assume (here we go again) if you go with the ST4000 you still have to get the wires down there too.

E

Ed Schenck

Steve, those shims were not any help. . .

to me. I still ran out of threads on the clamps. Went to Lowes and bought a 4" diameter rubber hose coupling complete with clamps, about $5. With a slit to get it over the pedestal it looks good and protects the finish. For wiring drilled hole in front of pedestal and dropped in a piece of string with a screw tied on the end. Put a magnet up through a 3/4-inch hole from bottom and pulled the string out. Used a correctly sized rubber grommet in the hole with the wire, also from Lowes.

Status
Not open for further replies.