ST-60 (ST1) Network to NMEA 2000

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Ok here is a sketch of two ways of connecting things and what I think you’ve done. Note you may have removed a N2K terminator to connect up the 45 cable rather than hooking it in off a T

the top is how MaineSail talks about hooking it up as a device. Remove the two blue terminatorsand the A06047 (ST1 to white cap). Insert black plug here. Connect two ST1 devices with ST1 to ST1 cable. Note the A06045 must go to T as shown. If you just removed the terminator and connected the 45 cable there - you must add a T . ( my rule of thumb is the leg of the T always goes to a device, the other two must go to 1) another T 2) backbone cable connected to a T or 3) a terminator)

next is how I like to wire these up. Again remove the A06047 as above. Wire ST1 to ST1. Remove A06045 cable. Plug with black blank. Remove one blue terminator and one N2K terminator. Connect cable made from SeaTalkNG Blue cable and field installable end.

I like this method as there are no open sockets, and you won’t get someone down the road connecting a device to the unused white or trying to extend the backbone with the blue.
With my way you can do either and still have a valid network configuration.

power is still necessary at only one insertion point.
AD2B8B6C-3B8F-4F6D-A676-04C99A2AD111.jpeg

May 24, 2019
Hunter 33 Ixtapa Mexico
Dear Leslie, thank you very much for the drawings and your explanation, I will do some tests and then I will tell you how it ended.

One question, with this what am I going to get? Will I be able to see and manage the autopilot control in the Chartploter? Can I see it in Active Captain ?. Best regards,

nsmi

Jan 7, 2020
Beneteau 423 Lasalle
Great thread, I am in the planning stages of doing this on a 2005 Beneteau.

Does the attached drawing look correct?

Do I need to add a seperate power to the E22158 converter or will the C80 power everything through the SeaTalk connector?

What a good source for the N2K ends?
I have a 30 meter NMEA 2000 Backbone cable that I would like to connect to a short Seatalkng cable.

Attachments

May 20, 2016
Great thread, I am in the planning stages of doing this on a 2005 Beneteau.

Does the attached drawing look correct?

Do I need to add a seperate power to the E22158 converter or will the C80 power everything through the SeaTalk connector?

What a good source for the N2K ends?
I have a 30 meter NMEA 2000 Backbone cable that I would like to connect to a short Seatalkng cable.
You’ll never find a Raymarine blue cable that connects to N2K. You’ll need to make it from a normal blue cable and a field installable end. Wire colors are consistent between SeaTalkNG and N2K.

Power should be injected in the middle of the network based on device LEN values. You can split the power into two segments by leaving the red wire out of your field N2K connector.

nsmi

Jan 7, 2020
Beneteau 423 Lasalle
Thanks,
What is a good source for the N2K ends to adapt the spliced Seatalkng cable?
Not finding any blank ends in my search, I've seen others reference blank cable ends with screw terminals.

Thanks for the power advice, I'm reading up on the LEN value.

May 20, 2016
I usually go to amazon or anchorexpress, Hodges also has good prices. Just search for “nmea 2000 field installable connector” on either site. I’ve only used the Maretron brand.