Ssb Instalation With No Backstay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 19, 2006
- - South River, Chesapeake Bay
I have a Hunter 410 (with no backstay) and would like to hear any suggestions for the Antenna.

I am thinking of buying an Icom802 but want to save and do the instalation myself. Any advice would be great.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Andrew
Hopefully you will get some replies in addition to those from the general forum question you raised.

Have you already downloaded some of the instruction manuals for the commercial antenna tuners?

Each manufacture has some fairly detailed installation instructions applicable to antenna configurations.

Mar 12, 2008
Jeanneau 49 DS San Pedro, CA
Hi Andrew. I posted the three ways I've seen for an antenna with no backstay on your previous thread. For the group, the three ways I have seen a SSB antenna is:

1. a whip off the transom.
2. a fake "backstay" that was used as an antenna.
3. the last was the most interesting. There was a 410 that cut up sections of his upper shrouds, isolated the sections from the rigging, and then connected the sections with wire together to form his antenna.

Maybe someone in the group has another idea.

The ICOM M802 is a great radio, and is very easy to install. I was able to do everything myself in about 8 or 9 hours of work. Having a separate control head makes mounting the unit a snap. There is about a quarter amp drain at all times, even when the radio is off (used to keep the frequency more stable upon startup, important for e-mail only). To get around that, I ran the power through a circut breaker on my DC panel. I took the easy route and ran copper foil to a thru-hull in stead of installing a dynaplate or running copper everywhere. Works great. And use RG213 if you can for your coax from transceiver to the tuner.

A couple of tips as well:

You will need a separate DSC antenna. Gordon West suggested taking a 15-20 foot section of any good coax and running inside the wire runs just below the deck. Works fine, we found out one night when someone pushed the button on their SSB radio. I bought a premade 25' RG58 coax and ran it just below the deck joints behind the bulkhead.

Dockside Radio sells a pre-made data cable for the DSC function. It was cheaper then buying the parts to make it up myself. You can look him up on the web, Gary is a great guy and helped me out a lot.

Hope you are also getting your ham general license as the radio does both very well. And just send me a message if you have any questions. I also have a couple of pictures of my nav station on my profile page.

Mar 19, 2006
- - South River, Chesapeake Bay
Perhaps not even SSB but Globalstar

I am now thinking that we should get a Globalstar sat phone instead. What I really need is weather information as we cruise the Bahamas. Once we are out of Marsh Harbour VHF range all I currently have is a small ($150) SSB receiver.

The Globalstar phone is starting to look like a good alternative to SSB Icome 802.

Any thoughts?

Mar 12, 2008
Re: Perhaps not even SSB but Globalstar

Both SSB and Globalstar have good and bad points. The good about SSB is you can call out and anyone on can hear. With all the boats with SSB and all the ham operators out there, that gives you a lot of ears if something goes wrong. Having a radio gives you the chance to hear and participate the nets that go on and you can hear what others are experiencing. The nets are a great source of information and local weather. The DSC function is handy as well, as you can send a message with your location as long as you hook it up a GPS. Also, it is free after the initial cost of installation.

The phone is cheaper and easier to install. After that, the cost is based on usage. And you have to know the number of who you are calling, as it is point-to-point communications only.

I like having a radio, and use it every weekend. Radios and boating seem to go together well.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
As Karl said, the satphone will serve your purpose but, without the SSB, you lose the sense of a community. Picture yourself looking for info on a new harbor, laundry facilities, spare parts or just to see how the check-in process is orchestrated. With the SSB, your range of opportunity is expanded to a much larger and diverse group of people, interests and knowledge.

Obviously, I'm biased but it is more important what you hope to get out of it than should influence your choice

Mar 12, 2008
Funny, this question appears in the March edition of Sail magazine. Guess the same question was asked of Gordon West in the "Know-How" section. Essentually his response mirrored mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.