SSB Help

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 41 Longport,NJ
Well - I'm a novice and admit it - so please don't judge... Have an ICOM M302 I beieve - on my delightful cruiser, have been reading quite a bit - but still can;t tell if it even works. Tried everything the books said, and a marine electronics repair person check connections, for voltage in/out/and drops and all is fine, but can;t seem to get much in the way of signals - even on the pre-programed channels. yes - motor and generator are off, disconnected from shore power and all that. I'm up near Atlantic city, NJ. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to see if this thing even works (for example - stations. frequencies I should be able to get, times of day of broadcasts if applicable etc) or any other suggestions ?

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Cruiseheimers is on 8152 at 0830

If you are in a marina, it can be very tough, even with everything disconnected.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Start by listening to WWV on 10MHz (10.000.0). Although the bands are not the best right now, you should be able to hear something. If you do not hear anything, then try 5MHz and 15MHz.

I believe the radio you have might be an Icom M802, not M302.

Other issues might be associated with the antenna tuner. It might not be working correctly (tuning the antenna).

By the way, I moved this to the SSB portion of SBO.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Yes, is there an antenna tuner installed? Are you tuning to each freq? There is a tune button you press to activate the tuning, without it the reception will be poor.