Squeaky steering cables

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joe Gillette

Steering cable on my 1988 Catalina 30 is squeaky. Any recommendations on the remedy? I've heard wd-40 and white grease. Thanks!

JIM B

Jun 27, 2006
Catalina 30 MKII ROOSEVELT AZ
EDSON IS THE MANUFACTURER OF THE PEDESTAL

YOU MIGHT WANT TO GO TO EDSON'S WEB SITE FOR INSTRUCTIONS ON MAINTANCE. I HAVE INCLUDED THAT LINK BELOW. WD40 WON'T BE THE BEST LUBE BUT IT'S SURE BETTER THAN NOTHING. I LIKE TRI-LUBE. BOTH ARESAL AND GREASE. WHILE YOU ARE LUBING CABLES AND SUCH YOU MAY WANT TO MAKE SURE THE DRAIN IN THE BOTTOM OF THE QUADRANT AREA IS NOT PLUGGED. SOMEONE ON THIS SIGHT SUGGESTED USING A GARDEN HOSE TO CLEAR ANY BLOCKAGE BY BLOWING OUT THE THRU HULL FROM THE OUTSIDE. IT WAS GREAT ADVICE AND WORKS WELL. YOU WILL LIKE THE WAY IT FEELS AND DOSENT SQUEEK ONCE STEERING CABLES ARE LUBED (ANNUALLY). GOOD LUCK!

Jun 2, 2004
Several Catalinas C25/C320 USA
Squeaky Cables

Don't use WD 40, it is a penetrate and gathers crud. Use a silicone spray.

S

Stephen K.

Edson guidance says...

The Edson maintenance sheet says lube the steering wire/cable lightly with #30 weight motor oil. My steering was really tight a couple weeks ago.I removed the access panel and found the compartment full of standing water. You need to keep that small drain hole clear and the best way to do it is like Jim B said....using a hose and spraying in from the outside exit hole. Got rid of the water, used a little motor oil on the cables and all is back to normal.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
Shop Vac

Try using a shop vac in the wet mode and putting it on the drainage hole on the transom of the boat. It will suck out the water and any trash in the hose. It works well. I also use one to suck out the antifreeze out of my water tanks in the spring so that I just run some water through the system to clean it out. Works great!

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
Shop Vac

Try using a shop vac in the wet mode and putting it on the drainage hole on the transom of the boat. It will suck out the water and any trash in the hose. It works well. I also use one to suck out the antifreeze out of my water tanks in the spring so that I just run some water through the system to clean it out. Works great!

Status
Not open for further replies.