SQL Injection Attack - 2/24/2020

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
This is to advise everyone that there was an SQL Injection attack this morning. The results were a DDOS by email. SBO was protected but there is a possibility that you may receive an email from ABUSE: 123 or some other email address. The content of the email is saying that your were monitored accessing a website and the hacker has loaded ransomware on your PC. The hacker posted in the email a Bitcoin account. That account has been reported to Bitcoin and blocked.

If you receive an email please be advised that it is probably harmless.

Now, I hope you are prudent enough to know to backup your PC on a schedule.

If you have any issues with the forums, use the links provided for issue reporting. This ensures widest dissemenation if I am not at my computer.

Sail on!
Brian D

• Helpful
Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
So did the SQL Injection retrieve email addresses of SBO members and then emails were sent to them? I am trying to understand how a SQL Injection attack could do a DDOS (Distributed Denial of Service) attack via email that is asking for a ransom to be paid. If it did retrieve email addresses of SBO members, then they were not protected. Sounds like two different attacks from the information provided.

Feb 17, 2006
As far as we can tell, no. There appears to be no data breach. Phil is digging deeper into the server. I have sent him what data I have collected so far. But as of right now, it looks like we are good.

It is possible there were multiple methods used. So far the SQL Injection attack seems to be the most reported. I moderate a VPN Forum site and it was also hit. I got over 700 emails from that site this morning. That went on for about 2 hours until I could find the sender and ban them.

I don't think we need to worry, but it would not be proper if we did not at least give a heads up.

added - Let me just inject something here (sorry about the term inject). The SQL Injection could harvest and generate emails without mining the email addresses themselves for return to the source, which can be traced. I am sure that is what happened to the VPN site (not very well protected in that case).

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
SQL Injection attack
This is one of the reason Apple changed all its file protocols and why takes a long time for "apps" to catch up with the newest versions of iOS.

Never open emails with an embedded link!!
Jim...

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
So, how does one know there is an "embedded link" in an email?

Feb 17, 2006
I have been touch with Phil and he passes this on to me...

-----------
I can see that this ransom scam has been going on since at least fall of 2018. I doubt that's connected to the injection but you never know. At any rate, the email stuff is old news and surely harmless.

I just checked the logs from 20-24th and I can see a handful of injections attacks that got through Astra but they tripped up on our own server security. Anyway, none of them were successful so I can say with confidence that there was no breach.

I also ID'd four pages that they're hitting and added some extra trigger keywords that are found in injection attacks. I think we're in good shape.
----------------

So with that, SBO secutiry has kept us safe. Phil has some very tight security protocols in place.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
So, how does one know there is an "embedded link" in an email?
Basically anything that starts with http, or that allows you to click on it within an email, is an embedded link.

As a rule of thumb, never click links in emails. It’s too easy for them to be spoofed and take you somewhere you don’t want to be.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I quit responding to these kind of emails. Im still waiting for the 47MM transfer from the prince in 1998.

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
I didnt think that was possible anymore in a commercial website; delete dbo.user --
:biggrin:

Dynamic code is evil.

Apr 12, 2007
Hunter 420 Herrington Harbor South
It is so nice to see people paying attention to this. Been in the cyber information/warfare business since '91. It has gotten so much attention and finally some action from people like you. keep up the good work:dancing:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
This is to advise everyone that there was an SQL Injection attack this morning. The results were a DDOS by email. SBO was protected but there is a possibility that you may receive an email from ABUSE: 123 or some other email address. The content of the email is saying that your were monitored accessing a website and the hacker has loaded ransomware on your PC. The hacker posted in the email a Bitcoin account. That account has been reported to Bitcoin and blocked.

If you receive an email please be advised that it is probably harmless.

Now, I hope you are prudent enough to know to backup your PC on a schedule.

If you have any issues with the forums, use the links provided for issue reporting. This ensures widest dissemenation if I am not at my computer.

Sail on!
Brian D
For those of us who haven't a clue what a SQL Injection attack, DDOS or any of the other stuff you posted here about, could you dumb it down to a sailor's level, please.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Hide some code in a carrier. Bury it in a message, file or picture. You open the file, code runs, nasty stuff happens. Most common would be something like “your files are all locked and you may now pay us $500”.
Simplified, but hopefully you get the idea.

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
For those of us who haven't a clue what a SQL Injection attack, DDOS or any of the other stuff you posted here about, could you dumb it down to a sailor's level, please.
Structured Query Language is used to work with databases. Some apps connect to databases using SQL. SQL is used to move data back and forth from the server to the user. It is also used to change the design of the database. Most databases have additional functionality to issue instructions on the database server that have nothing directly to do with databases, e.g., email, file transfers, start programs, create batch files, FTP stuff, etc..

Skippers are the the web app code, SQL is the crew, the boat is the app, hackers are your guests' children. Every text box on a web form is a "Thru hull" to the inside of a "boat". Usually the thru-hull valves are pretty sturdy. There is a solid base, the opening is made of corrosion resistant material, and the crew check on the status on a regular basis. The thru hull valve may even be protected with a special watertight enclosure. Everything going through the thru hull is controlled and monitored. Some activity through the hull is expected.

The crew know to not damage the thru hulls fittings, but the kids..they see a little flimsy pipe sticking out of the side of the boat and have no control but to see if the handle moves, then how fast can they move it, then they see that when they moved it fast the whole thing moved, then out of no self control, grab the valve back and forth until it breaks clean off. They quickly show the broken piece to the other kids and get really exited about the change they made to the world.
The thru hull is now a gaping opening between the boat and the outside world. The app starts to sink.

The skipper and guest freak out and panic trying to plug the leak. Hopefully, a more robust fitting is added in that same spot later.

For real "search forms" are easy targets. You see a text box where you enter "racing". The app builds out something like select top (10) * from tblPost where 1=1 and comment like '%racing%' and gives you some results.

The hacker's make hundreds of attempts to derail the SQL so that they can void out the search and then submit a new SQL command. Might try... '; exec xp_cmdshell...--
select * from tblPosts where 1=1 and comment like '%racing'; exec xp_cmdshell...-- %'
If it worked then the user might have access to the command line of the database server. The virus scanners are often usually off on those to keep the performance up.

Hackers try all sorts of changes until something different happens. Then they build on that. It used to be web apps would give you all sorts of helpful info like 'Sorry xp_cmdshell is disabled on this server', but most don't do that anymore, they just puke on you, which can also be helpful, the best approach is to poker face errors like nothing happened. Most app designers are really, really, really lazy on security, or have no idea how to set up security groups and have one fake user that pretty much has full admin of the app, app server, are sysadmin on the db and domain admin on db server. Usually used for report server too since it has rights to everything. Crack a simple text box and you have pretty much full control of the IT infrastructure. It's really helpful if there is some inside knowledge of the brands of software used. It's easy enough to look for companies hiring and see what they need for IT help.

Last edited: