Sprit idea I found thoughts?

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
IMG_3236.jpeg
saw this on Reddit got me to thinking how to rig something like this on a c22. Good idea? Bad? Would probably want a dolphin striker made of dyneema. Tell me why this is a terrible idea that will destroy my boat!

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
It looks like the pulpit is being used as part of the support? I’d be very concerned about the stress that will put on the pulpit and its attachment to the deck. The pulpit probably isn’t designed for that and although the stainless tubing might be strong enough I’m betting it’ll lead to leaks where the pulpit is bedded.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Do you really want to "test" the strength of the ss tubing on your pulpit? How much "faster" could you possibly go with your waterline? I owned a 1981 C22 #10496 from 1983 to 87, and was quite comfortable and sometimes overpowered with just the 110, albeit on SF Bay and Clear Lake (California). KISS, that's what that boat is made for. Even the hardcore racers in the C22 nationals don't go there, although it's the rules that govern that choice.

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
It looks like the pulpit is being used as part of the support? I’d be very concerned about the stress that will put on the pulpit and its attachment to the deck. The pulpit probably isn’t designed for that and although the stainless tubing might be strong enough I’m betting it’ll lead to leaks where the pulpit is bedded.
The ring on the pulpit looks to only keep the pole down. The pole is attached to a ring at the side rail. Thought it was a novel solution to fly an asymmetric spinnaker in light air. (The only time I would use this) the kite typically is on the stem fitting or a symmetrical that need topping lift downhaul etc.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
The ring on the pulpit looks to only keep the pole down. The pole is attached to a ring at the side rail.
I think the ring will keep the pole from flying forward, but a kite, especially when reaching, puts a good amount of sideways force too. On a pole with a symmetrical spin the sideways force is countered by the guy, and the result is a lot of compressive force on the pole between guy and mast. This sprit won’t have a guy so all that sideways force will be pushing on the pulpit and enjoying a lever arm about 5” above the deck. Your boat your choice as they say, and maybe the pulpit bedding is stouter than I’m guessing, but it wouldn’t be my choice. A similar arrangement with the middle of the pole held down by a fitting bedded to a strong point on the deck specifically for that purpose would feel better to me.

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
I think the ring will keep the pole from flying forward, but a kite, especially when reaching, puts a good amount of sideways force too. On a pole with a symmetrical spin the sideways force is countered by the guy, and the result is a lot of compressive force on the pole between guy and mast. This sprit won’t have a guy so all that sideways force will be pushing on the pulpit and enjoying a lever arm about 5” above the deck. Your boat your choice as they say, and maybe the pulpit bedding is stouter than I’m guessing, but it wouldn’t be my choice. A similar arrangement with the middle of the pole held down by a fitting bedded to a strong point on the deck specifically for that purpose would feel better to me.
I agree with your assessment, I am very familiar with spin pole and how much pressure is on it (used to be foredeck when I was 100 lbs lighter.) and I was not sure of this config either.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Rube Goldberg-esk. There is the old saw that simple is better. That doesn't look simple.
Reddit? I don't take stock tips from them much less rigging tips. But I'm obsolete.

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
Rube Goldberg-esk. There is the old saw that simple is better. That doesn't look simple.
Reddit? I don't take stock tips from them much less rigging tips. But I'm obsolete.
The post was about something completely different, I just saws the spar set up and thought hmmmm