Sprint Atlantic A Windlass needs repair

Mar 1, 2009
2 44DS Marina Del Rey
I have just returned from 8 months in Mexico. 44DS did great but the windlass started leaking water into my forward cabin in heavy seas and when it rained. Still performs its job but need to clean regrease and put in new seals. I can't find a supplier or any stores who know of this windlass. Any help finding parts would be appreciated.

It is A Simpson Lawrence Sprint Atlantic A GD 12V RC8MM.
List Number 0043621108

It seems they were a specially made item for Hunter but no one seems to be able to help me.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
If you could strip it apart, take the cage bearings and any oil seal to an automotive parts shop. They can get you the same sized parts.
Careful not to lose the "dowel" like pins that's between "rim" and "shaft" as you dismantle.
You can use multi purpose grease to fill up all internal parts and pat it up with grease so that water can't flow into it. Go download the Sprint Atlantic manual to get a good idea how it is assembled. Good luck.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Here is a link to Simpson Lawrence spare parts. I have personally bought parts from them and found them to be a quality supplier.

So if you can't locate some unique part locally, they are an option.

UK SL Spares

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I have just returned from 8 months in Mexico. 44DS did great but the windlass started leaking water into my forward cabin in heavy seas and when it rained. Still performs its job but need to clean regrease and put in new seals. I can't find a supplier or any stores who know of this windlass. Any help finding parts would be appreciated.

It is A Simpson Lawrence Sprint Atlantic A GD 12V RC8MM.
List Number 0043621108

It seems they were a specially made item for Hunter but no one seems to be able to help me.
I recommend you keep this windlass covered when not in use. If you examine the exploded drawing carefully you will see there is nothing preventing water infiltration from the top to the bearing and below to the gearbox.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I recommend you keep this windlass covered when not in use. If you examine the exploded drawing carefully you will see there is nothing preventing water infiltration from the top to the bearing and below to the gearbox.
Which is why i filled up the base bearing and shaft part with lots of grease to prevent water finding its way below.

Dec 1, 2020
Hunter 44 DS Deale, MD
Hi, just wanted to revive this old thread to supply some answers for the next person who needs this info. I couldn't find it anywhere on line either, at least for the gear box seals.

I found them from Grainger.com

For the 2 big shaft seals:
Rotary Shaft Seal: 2 Lip W/spring, Tc, Nitrile, 40 Mm Id, 56 Mm Od, 8 Mm …
Item # 53XJ81
Price $13.51 / each

For the smaller seal between the electric motor and gearbox:
Rotary Shaft Seal: 2 Lip W/spring, Tc, Nitrile, 25 Mm Id, 35 Mm Od, 7 Mm …
Item # 53XD85
Price $11.29 / each

I also found the the smaller seals at McMaster-Carr, but they did not have the 56mm seals.

Between those and the rebuild kit for the shaft bearings from P2Marine.com (Simpson Lawrence Maintenance Kit for Sprint Atlantic model# lew6043886), I was able to refurbish my windlass.

Hope this helps