Spring work is underway.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I could no longer put off wooding the boom. A few glue seams had let go and water was getting inside.

Plus the main sheet fiddle block shackle had nearly worn through the bronze rolling end fitting. The fitting, as well as the original lower fiddle block(I'm missing the upper South Coast fiddle, anyone know of one available?) bronze eye and bronze loop on the track car, had nearly parted. I took those to the metal magician at Rockport Marine. He can fix them!

Back to the boom,... I nearly injected a quart of West epoxy into the boom until I realized, the blasted thing is hollow. I rolled the quart of epoxy around and coated the inside(I'm convinced it needed that).

Some prying at the ends, some strategic tiny holes drilled for epoxy syringes, and it's as strong as new now.

I deduced by the fact that most of the original screws in the bronze sail track snapped off one other time, as they did when I removed the track, that it's been about 25 years since the first wooding took place(the only reason the track would have been removed). Makes sense. The boom lives under cover most of it's life.

I used pairs of S hooks and old Vee belts to hang the boom(from large headed screws in the ends) at a comfortable height for varnishing. Easy, eye level, spin with one hand, brush with the other.

I also wooded the deck box and made a few minor repairs.

And I finally got around to building new hand rails. It's been 10 years since I removed the old ones that were beyond repair.

Attachments

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
It's nice to know you have a talented metal worker in town. I picked up the parts today at Rockport Marine. On the boom end bale, he built it back up with bronze and smoothed it out. Nice!

On the mainsheet, he punched out the old bronze bale, drilled the South Coast car oversized and bent in a new larger diameter bronze bale. But first, he built up the eye on the lower South Coast mainsheet block. Double nice! The boom is reassembled and I'd go to the moon with it now.

Attachments

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
And new handrails. I took them off 10 years ago and am just getting around to building a new set. I built them out of 2 pieces of 3/4" mahogany, epoxied together. The base is 1 1/2" wide and tapers to an inch round rail at the top.

Attachments

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Waiting for weather,...

Typical spring on the coast of Maine. Some good days, lot's of not so good days.

I've rolled and tipped the topsides every three years or so and waiting for weather to do that now. One part enamel doesn't last very long, but it's an easy task. This weekend is forecast a rain-out.

I'm in no hurry. My spot is a great "anchorage". It's fun to see the spring activity, boats and docks launched, lobsterboats loading up with traps. The guy on my starboard went in this week(I needed the space,...), the guy on my port hasn't even started to get ready to launch.

So it goes, spring on the coast of Maine. The weather will get better soon, it always does.

Attachments

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
christmas looks beautiful on the hard Tom. your projects are very nicely done. thanks for sharing.

May 4, 2015
Tom,

I may have some of the hardware you are looking for on my Caravelle Boom that I will replace this winter.

Lloyd

May 4, 2015
Tom,

I may have some of the hardware you are looking for on my Caravelle Boom that I will replace this winter.

Lloyd

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Hi Tabor. I'd love to see what you have if you can post pics here.