Spring misadventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob England

Today was spring launching day at my yacht club. Great to see the boat in the water again! So far, I've had two "adventures" -- the rudder split open over the winter, down the leading edge, and when we tried to grind the crack to fix it, the entire fiberglass skin fell off. This required reglassing the entire rudder, and in a big hurry. Also expensive. We just barely got it done before launch. Today, at launch, one of the amateur crane assistants (my club is a self-help club) allowed one of the big shackles that attach the crane straps to get caught under my toe rail. This was on the side away from the crane operator, and before he responded to all the shouting, the crane had lifted the front of the boat partially out of the cradle, by the tow rail! This is on a 10,000 lb boat with an outward turning flange and aluminum toe rail for the hull to deck joint. Total damage was a 1/2" crescent shaped "ding" in the bottom edge of the toe rail, and some minor stress cracks in the glass under the rail. This is a testimony to the strength of Hunter construction. Too bad they didn't make better rudders.

A

Alan Eland

All in all a good day if it's finally in the water

Bob, At least your finally in the water! I launched my 1989 Hunter 30 two weeks ago (I bought the boat in November). I still have some work to do and the weather has not been cooperating but its a great feeling to see it in the water. It's impressive that no more damage was done to the boat when it was picked up by the toe rail. Have a great season. Alan

B

Bob England

Thanks, Alan

Yes, it's good to be afloat again. Mine is also a 1989 H30. Great boat. Next weekend, we'll be stepping masts at the club, and I'll be even closer to sailing. But then, there's the 200 or so "projects" on my list for the boat <grin>. I hope you have a good season, too.

S

Scott B

Never Forget

Speaking of picking the boat by the toe rail, I'll never forget last year when I was having the boat hauled out and moved over land to another spot. When the boatyard went to unstep the mast it would not budge. They picked the boat up about a foot and a half with the crane on the mast before the mast cut loose and the boat went crashing back into the water. Not a toerail but just as exciting. No damage either that I can tell!!

B

Bob England

Wear and tear

Someone at my club pointed out that one of the problems with sailing in a northern climate (other than being unable to do it for at least 6 months out of the year!!) is that most of the wear and tear on the boat happens during haul-out and launch. My experience certainly corroborates this. Like the time the "professional" marina crane crew dropped my mast overboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.