spreaders

Aug 21, 2024
Catalina Capri 16.5 Falcon Lake
just purchased this boat and inspecting all hardware. I have a question on the spreader. Is there a piece that I am missing? The end of the spreader just has half a hole to hold this stay in. is there another clip that goes over top?

Attachments

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
got photos of the actual spreader? Better with an overall and a close-up of the tip, if you can get it...

dj

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I suppose I could use a solid piece of wire and use a short piece of shrink tube so sail doesn’t get poked by wire??
Hmmm, not seeing a slot in the spreader tip. But might just be the angle. My spreader tips have a threaded J type fastener that is inside that spreader tip. You almost can't see it when it's in place. Maybe take that tip off and see if there is a hole where a threaded J type fitting might live.

The J hook on my spreader has to be adjusted with the tip off, kind of a pain to get positioned properly. I leave the J hook loose, get everything set correctly, mark where the J goes over the stay or shroud ( mine has both that run through it) then take off the tension, pull the spreader end, tighten it where it's marked then re-tune the rig. A bit of a pain, but it works...

If you don't have a J hook option, I agree with your assessment.

dj

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
The cable should be in the slot and the steel wire holds it in place. It appears that the steel wire should be tightened.

• Helpful