Spreaders...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgrace

Oct 20, 2008
Ericson 35 Mk II Sequim
Greetings.... I noticed yesterday that the spreaders on my Ericson 35 (76 vintage) were coming off the mast at a 90 degree or so angle. Not a big deal until I noticed that 98% of the other boats in the marina were at an upward angle which made me a tad suspicious that mine are incorrect. If this indeed is a hazard to the standing rigging I will have them repaired soon but was wondering if this is something that should be repaired pronto or can I continue sailing her until I have them worked on.... I am afraid that they have been in this configuration since I bought the boat last September.....

Thanks,

Tim

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
maybe and maybe not...

Lots of other 35-2 owners log in at www.ericsonyachts.org.
You might want to post the question there.

IIRC they should bisect the angle made by the shrouds, above and below, and therefore tilt up at approx 10 deg. or so.
OTOH loads of production boats have been built with spreaders at 90 degrees to the mast.
Only thing to be concerned about is usually having one droop below 90 deg. That can lead to rig collapse.

So, it's probably not a problem, and you should check in at the Ericson owners' main site.

best,
L

Status
Not open for further replies.