Spreader Replacement bolt seized

Jun 2, 2004
Catalina 30 Ruskin/Tampa Bay
I am replacing my spruce spreaders with CD Aluminum. Having difficulty removing the bottom bolt on the bracket from the compression tube The bolt seems to be corrosion welded to the compression tube. Nuts off and bolt spins but doesnt come out. Any suggestions? Have used lots of PB Blaster and pounding nothing yet trying heat tomorrow

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
50/50 mix of acetone an ATF work far better than nearly all other lubricants but heat is even better. Mind you that Burnsomatic's top of the line MAPP torch (TS8000 reaches 3600F) can melt aluminum if left on there long enough

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Seems odd to me that the bolt spins, but won’t come out…

is there some sort of “collar” built up under the nut that keeps it from pulling out?

Greg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
removing the bottom bolt on the bracket from the compression tube
This part of your post leads me to think, that you have a bolt, without a nut on the other side of the mast, that goes through the mast inside a compression tube. You can not get the bolt to slide out of the compression tube. The C-tube is designed to keep the mast from collapsing as the bolts and nuts are tightened. Dirty and perhaps corrosion has seized the bolt.

If this is the case, you need to try and get any chemicals into the space between the tube and the bolt. This may be an impossibility.

You might try force. Replace the nut on the bolt end. This could provide a target. Then use a hammer to pound the bolt loose in the compression tube.

All of this may be complicated by trying to do the work while suspended above the boat. I suspect it would be much easier with the mast laid on supports at ground level. You turn the mast on its side. Gravity helps fluids flow down onto the bolt and into the compression post. Any force can be more controlled.

Good luck.