Split cockpit on E29 thumbs up or down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Like most boat owners...I am always doing research for my next boat (just don't tell my Wife!). I daysail a Lancer 25 now out of Winthrop Harbor (5-20 knot winds typically). There are a number of things I find attractive about the E29. The open cabin. Excellent engine access. The shoal draft. Lots of ports and hatches. However, I am looking for some input on how owners feel about the split cockpit. I usually single hand, so having ready access to the traveler seems like a big plus...however, my 25 probably gets overpowered more often than a 29 footer would. It does, however, seem like it hampers movement around the cockpit and entertaining in the cockpit. Any input from the owwners of split-cockpit Ericson owners is appreciated. I am also interested in how the E29 is in light air. Bob

C

Chris Barry

split

I have a 29, and you have the answer to your question and you don't even know it. It all depends on your priorities. It does provide easy access to the traveler. So if you are of a mind to frequently tweak the traveler, this is a big deal. If you are primarily a sailaboutaimlessly while entertaining guests sort then said access is more trouble than it is worth. I am more in the second category, so find the split cockpit a bother. A small one however. Overall I really like my 29 and would recommend one of her sisters to anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.