Split backstay setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tim Cobb

Hello, I've had my 22 for about 3 years (love it) it is a 72'. My backstay is the kind that is split with a car that as you pull it down it squezes the two sides together to apply tension and I don't think I have ever had it set up right. My boat has 3 eyebolts on the transom, one to port and two to starboard. The first year I simply pulled the car down and lashed it to the the third eyebolt. Last year I set up a tackle and shackled it to the third eyebolt but the side loading has started to tweak it. What is the proper attatchment point? What is the third eyebolt for? Thank you for your help. Catalina 22 Mauna Makani

F

Frank

Split Backstay adjustment

I have recently sold my 22 #10583, 1982 cat22, I had the same setup you described. Since I do not have the boat to look at I found an old picture that showed my setup. This may get a little confusing but I will try and explain. First of all I do not know what the third eye bolt was for. the two eyebolts that are needed are directly outside the traveler about 1 ". Next only 3 blocks are needed, Two fiddle (one big sheave stacked above another small sheave) and one single. One of the fiddles needs a jam or if you can find a single with becket and jam that will work. Now when the description is all said and done you should have two strands of line on each side of the split. Here we go On the port Eyebolt put the single (turning block). On the starboard put a fiddle with Jam. On the center car put a fiddle. Lets run the line starting on the starboard fiddle fix the line to the top sheave (use as becket) run the line to the top sheave on the center car. Down to the port turn, then back up to the center car bottom sheave, then back down to the starboard fiddle bottom sheave then through the jam. You usually put the adjustment on the starboard side for all tose early race starboard tack adjustments. I hope this helped. Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.