Spinnaker

Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
I bought my Hunter 240 in July 2019 from Zoltan Weber in Jupiter, Florida. He is a thirtyish Siemens Engineer with a heart condition and his doctor made him sell his sailboat and his motorcycle. He accepted my offer and Elaine and I drove down to pick up the boat. Apparently the doctor had not seen his girl friend. Zoltan is the only Zoltan I ever met. I hope that he is doing OK.
He loaded us up with some of his home made wine, bananas from this trees, and boxes of boat parts and accessories. One of these bags was reported to contain a spinnaker. I was taught that you tell people that you have a spinnaker but under no circumstances do you ever try to fly it. After a year and a half of reading I decided that with a spinnaker sock the setting and retrieving of the sail is made much simpler. I just opened the bag in the living room to measure the sail for a sock and discovered that there was already a sock around the sail with all the necessary lines! I am now weeks and dollars ahead of schedule.
Spinnaker with Sock.jpg I would like to move my old jib halyard block above my furler but since there is already a block on the mast head I will use it. I will have to add a block somewhere on deck or the front of the mast to bring it to the old jib cleat. Photos will follow.

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
The block for your spinnaker should have a good swivel on it because the 'pull' of a spinnaker can go across a wide range of angles, unlike a jib halyard which is always 'straight down'.
Using a spare jib halyard is not a good idea.. it can chafe badly when when reaching.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Pat;

Never remove the jib halyard as it is used with the mast raising. You should have a dedicated spinnaker halyard that goes through a good swiveling block attached above the forestay.

This is a sticky subject but I am a firm believer that personal information should not be given out on this forum because you don’t know who is reading comments on this forum. Personal information should be exchanged through private messaging for your own and others security.

Jun 12, 2021
Pat;

Never remove the jib halyard as it is used with the mast raising. You should have a dedicated spinnaker halyard that goes through a good swiveling block attached above the forestay.

This is a sticky subject but I am a firm believer that personal information should not be given out on this forum because you don’t know who is reading comments on this forum. Personal information should be exchanged through private messaging for your own and others security.
You obviously have never been to my webpage. Thanks for the advice. I plan to use the existing blocks on the mast head, we will see.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
No I have never visited your website. I am very careful on the internet but clarification I thought was needed as people read your posts here. In fact I am not on Facebook. Behind the scenes I have too many folks that I help with their sailboats which is time consuming.

I do read your posts here which is helpful particularly the added water weight. However I felt your post needed clarification since others were interested too.

Jun 12, 2021
Jessie and I dropped the mast yesterday. We then pulled a light nylon line through the spinnaker halyard block above the forestay and tied it to the halyard block opposite the boom on the mast. I had thought that the block was on the mast head but it was below it. We had removed the boom and the sail together and set it on the dock. It was the first time we had dropped the mast with the CDI Furler system. It wasn't as cumbersome than I feared. I followed the recommendations from others and used small bungees to hold the turnbuckles upright and taut to avoid bending. That worked perfectly. Spinnaker halyard is on order from this site.
Mast Lowered.jpgShroud Turnbuckle.jpg

Last edited: