Spinnaker Topping Lift Exit Block Location

Jul 13, 2011
Capri 22 MK1 659 Canandaigua Lake
I just picked up an exit block from Catalina Direct so I can run my spinnaker topping lift internally and get that mess off the front of my mast. Any of you structural engineers care to give me some advice on where to cut the hole? We've all heard the stories about collapsing masts and I don't want to weaken the mast at the critical point where many of the loads are focussed. Also, if anyone already has this setup on this or another similar boat and would care to tell me where it is located, that would be welcome, too. My first inclination is to put it three or four inches below the spreader, but before I get out the drill, hacksaw and file, I wanted to run it by the collective wisdom of this forum. Thanks, Marty

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
Right about here:

Round out the hole you drill top and bottom, so the hole is oval, not square. Make it ONLY as wide as the drop in turning block requires, the extrusion (mast) should be plenty strong if you do those 2 things.

Mar 11, 2014
I installed one my self as well. However, mine had the hole from the factory that the block fron CD fit in perfectly. The hole was about 12 inches above the Fore stay connection point.
Good luck

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
Your topping lift was above the forestay? You mean halyard no?

Mar 11, 2014
You're correct, The Halyard is above the Forestay... I don't have a topping lift as I only fly an Asym from a Bow sprint

Jul 13, 2011
Drewlamparello...OK, I'll bite. Open a new thread and show us your bowsprit rig and the dimensions of your asymmetric chute, etc. I very seldom use my symmetrical spinnaker because even with a chute scoop it's just too complicated and hectic when short-handed. (Gotta get me a tiller pilot!) I'd be very interested in seeing how you managed it. Was the sail cut for a different boat and adapted, or did you go custom? Tall rig or standard?

(Thanks for the picture, Shnool -- that was just what I needed.)

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
Yeah I know mine is a Capri 25, but some things are pretty standard.

Solo launching pretty much any spinnaker is practice in growing extra arms.
I've solo launched my symmetrical with pole and all the goodies... but it's a scary thing when the winds pipe up while you are doing it. No tiller pilot is fast enough.

Jul 13, 2011
Roger that, Shnool. I have had my tall rig symmetric up with a friend steering who is used to driving his J/27. We were reaching our way up the lake in pretty good wind, maybe 15 gusting 20. When that short wing keel rudder stalls and the boat broaches, it gets a little hairy. Never tie stopper knots in your spinnaker sheets!

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
"Never tie stopper knots in your spinnaker sheets!"

And never throw them either. Was sailing on a J-24 once and we broached with the spinnaker up. The trimmer threw the line as we were broaching. Murphy struck again. The line got tangled around something and did not released. I swear the top of the mast was in the water.
So, as the rest of the fleet passed us we were inundated with nice comments such as "you have barnacles on the bottom of your keel."

The spinnaker filled with water preventing us from righting for a few seconds. I remember reaching under the water to untangle whatever the line was tangled on, and then we popped back up.

Hershey

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
"Never tie stopper knots in your spinnaker sheets!"
Amen...

Also, BLOW THE HALYARD.. huge lesson learned early on messing with my spinnaker (solo), never blow the sheets, blow the halyard! Counter intuitive for sure. Its also counter intuitive to raise your genoa (add sail area) to get the spinnaker down. But it works nicely to blanket the spin. Broach? Blow the halyard first! Grab the sheet and pull the spin in, if you keep the tension up as you do it, you can even keep the spin dry (mostly).

Jul 13, 2011
That's good advice. I'll keep both of those on the top of my mind when I use the 'chute.