Spinnaker Rigging (Down-Haul)

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Erin and Tom

We just finally put the rigging back on the boat for the Spinnaker. The Last owner removed most of it, so there was a bit of guess work but there are snap blocks about 1' from the aft for the guy and sheet with winches a foot farther forward. this placements seems to work well. We flew it for the first time today and onl yhad to glitches. First, the sheets we figured orginally went with the shoot were too short and we ended up using the Genoa sheets. Is there a suggest length for those? The second and biggest problem was we forgot a bout rigging up a down-haul for the pole. We have an organizer plate around the mast and thought about running the nessisary pulley to there, but noticed several differnt types of boats on the dock had their down haul blocks on the foredeck. Is there a prefferable place to put the down-haul block?

Sep 5, 2005
- - Sydney, Australia 1989 Cat 30 #5628
on the foredeck

Mine is on the foredeck and works very well, with the downhaul led (almost)straight aft to the cockpit. It is a removable one (I didn't want more holes in my boat..), the rigger made a bridle attached to both forward cleats with the block in the middle. Being on the foredeck has the advantage that you don't have the downhaul in the way when working on the foredeck, you can stand between mast and downhaul when messing with the spinnaker pole. From memory I have always seen them on the foredeck on racing boats.

Status
Not open for further replies.