spinnaker info for hunter 29.5

Jun 12, 2014
looking for sources for parts for the spinnaker kit on a 1994 hunter 29.5. the pole didn't come with the kit but I know it slid into a slot in the bow and thru the chain locker. can anyone provide me with the info and availability of parts for the assym spin kit?????? and can anyone tell me what that boat is like to sail and whether a assym is worth the money.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
What exactly are you trying to install? The 1994 29.5 flies an assym chute but there's no pole, and no slot in the bow. It sounds like someone modified your boat to add a sprit.
Pictures would help us understand.
The chute makes a huge difference to the performance of the 29.5 - already a fast fun boat

Jun 12, 2014
What exactly are you trying to install? The 1994 29.5 flies an assym chute but there's no pole, and no slot in the bow. It sounds like someone modified your boat to add a sprit.
Pictures would help us understand.
The chute makes a huge difference to the performance of the 29.5 - already a fast fun boat
we looked at another one that had been modified......so all we would need is to add a spinnaker halyard and sheets, and then get the assym....I can't wait to go aboard. we are serious about this one....

Mar 20, 2004
great! we had a lot of fun with our 29.5 before we moved up to the 356, If you're lucky the trace line for the halyard is still in the mast, but if not you can drop a fishing line with a small weight down from the halyard block and pull it out at the bottom of the mast

Jun 12, 2014
great! we had a lot of fun with our 29.5 before we moved up to the 356, If you're lucky the trace line for the halyard is still in the mast, but if not you can drop a fishing line with a small weight down from the halyard block and pull it out at the bottom of the mast
oh ok, i'll have to get someone to show me how to do that. i'm new to sailing etc. we want to move up to a bigger boat eventually but want to get used to sailing first on the 29.5. we had looked at a 44ac but the money just wasn't there.

Apr 2, 2014
Hunter 29.5 Long Beach, MS
There was an option for a retractable pole that was for racing with an Assymetrical spinnaker. I have one on my 29.5 and I have tried this forum as well as the "1 to One" but no one can help. The pole has 2 blocks top and bottom on the fore end and the aft end. There is a diagram in the owners manual you can download on this site but the drawing for the pole detail is missing. every one tells me Hunter did not offer this option but it is in the manual. Mine was not rigged when I bought the boat and I have got it rigged so I can use it but it is not right. If you have any luck Please let me know.

Mar 20, 2004
Wow! that drawing was NOT in my 29.5 manual and I never saw one.....
It looks similar the 216 retractable sprit - but I doubt the parts are available for the 29.5 so you'll have to make your own - but the 29.5 sails great with the tack attached to a block on the anchor roller, so you really don't need the sprit.
Take this with a grain of salt - this is the setup for the 216 sprit:
the 216 kit has a fixed tube attached to the foredeck and a carbon fiber pole that slides inside. the aft end of the pole is attached to the aft end of the tube with a bungee cord to retract the sprit. the aft end of the pole has a line attached that runs forward to a block on the forward end of the tube and then aft to a camcleat in the cockpit. pulling this line extends the pole. The spinnaker guy runs thru the pole and comes out at the forward end to control the tack. you raise the spinnaker from the cockpit, then pull the tack forward to the pole with the guy. you could make something similar, but make sure you don't block the anchor locker. Most aftermarket sprit kits are made to be removable for just this reason.

Feb 11, 2019
Hunter 29.5 Bristol, PA
I've only seen 2 29.5's advertised for sale with the original optional sprit. It was very uncommon, but I'd love to get my hands on one, too.

Apr 11, 2009
Hunter 31 Thunder Bay
A friend of mine has added an A3 to his 290 Tacked just ahead of the furling drum. He now sails in lite air instead of motoring. Currently working on a sprit for my 31. It will have a top down furler.