Spider webs

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I keep stanchions. bimini bows etc covered with a spray. I think mine is from Terro.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Anywhere you have flying insects you will get spiders too. Spiders are actually good, they eat mosquitos. But the webs are annoying. You can spray the spiders but that doesn't prevent the flyers from returning and the spiders will follow them back. We're out on a mooring 1500 feet from land and the things keep coming back. They actually fly, launching themselves from the treetops and riding the wind on streamers of silk. Not much way to keep them off.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
I keep stanchions. bimini bows etc covered with a spray. I think mine is from Terro.
I'm interested as well. I've just been concerned about damage/color change to the bimini. Have you found the Terro spray to not harm canvas, fiberglass, or wax at all?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I'm interested as well. I've just been concerned about damage/color change to the bimini. Have you found the Terro spray to not harm canvas, fiberglass, or wax at all?
I don't let it come in contact with anything but stainless steel. If there's any over-spray, I'm not seeing any effect. I think the working ingredient is peppermint oil.

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
The webs are only annoying when they immobilize my Windex. I have to make circles until the webs break and allow the windex to operate. It takes 6 to 8 circles to break the webs. That silk is very strong. The birds will disable the windex soon and I won't have to think about the webs until I stick my head down by the outboard and cover my face with them.

Jul 5, 2005
Beneteau 361 Sandusky Harbor Marina
I use Ortho Home Defense, and it keeps the spiders away for 3 to 4 weeks usually. I avoid spraying the see-thru bits of the dodger.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I bought a no pest strip to hang in the cabin to spider away inside, and then I had the idea of cutting off pieces of the orange strip and putting the pieces in places like the lazzarette, under the helm cover, in the propane lockers, in the anchor locker, etc. where I usually find lots of spiders.

Maybe this season is too cold for spiders, but I haven’t had them as bad...and I am attributing it to the pieces of no pest strip all over.

Greg