speed, depth sounder in hull transducer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 31, 2004
1984 Lancer 30 MK 5 Lake Lanier, Ga.
Please help if you can. The depth sounder and speed display quit simultaneously weeks ago. (still powers up) I cannot find the transducer. Cannot imagine a speed device transducer that would operate with being exposed to the water. Please help if you have information.
Thanks,
George Haynie
ghaynie@mindspring.com
"Breaking Wind" at Lake Lanier Georgia

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
George, are you saying that you cannot find either devices on the boat? I understand that both stopped working at the same time. That would tell me to look at the common power source for both devices, being a fuse in the panel. Possible the wiring going back to the devices.

Dec 31, 2004
depth sounder/speedometer

Brian,
Thanks for the reply. I have to assume that it is not a power problem, since both displays (Kenyon) are active and show 000.
I have removed part of the sole plate and found nothing. I will have to take more off. I can see the wires from the binnacle going under the battery compartment. I can not find them from there, so must look further.
I do know that there is no such thing as an in hull speedometer. Must be a propeller. Just have to work a LITTLE more to find the stuff.
Please let me know if you have any ideas.
George

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Well, on my L27PS, the knot log paddle wheel is located in front of the keel. The transducer for the depth sounder is on the starboard side aft of the keel. One thing you can do if the water isn't too cold is to put on a mask and take a dive. Then you can look for the paddle wheel and transducer.

When I purchased my boat the knot log did not work. I wasn't even getting 000. But the depth was fine. I found out that the paddle wheel was damaged when the boat was lifted out for a paint job. I replaced the paddle wheel then had to have the display repaired. So it is possible that the wheel is damaged. As for the depth, it is also possible you have too much growth blocking the sounding signal.

Just a few things to check.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
It is not uncommon for the speed log to stop working after a few weeks due to fouling. That is why most come with a plug. You remove the unit from inside, jam the plug in, clean it and replace it. It looks like a little paddle wheel. Look inside all your storage areas under your settees. Chances are it is under one of them. Good luck. Bob

Dec 31, 2004
knot meter

thanks for the info. Will be easier to look there than taking up the whole sole plate. Will do that.
Thanks,
George

Feb 15, 2010
Lancer 30' 1985 great neck, n.y.
Transducer on my 1985 lancer 30 is located aft of the rear bunk, open
access hatch, it is located immediately to starboard...when my transducer failed some years ago, rather than wrestle it out of a
tight location, I installed one inside the hull using silicone close to
the original. Still going strong...if you want specifics let me know.
Paddlewheel on my boat is located in the bilge port side, BobM is
right on they foul easily...but easily cleaned. You should have a plug
that came with the boat, if not I have cleaned mine many times by just removing it, spining it and let the water rushing in finish rinsing it as I
fumbled to put it back. In either case don't forget to replace the pin
holding it in. If you don't have to do the firedrill and have the plug
you can put a little anti fouling paint on the paddlewheel and I use a
little vaseline in the barrel on the o rings. Or clean it from the outside
when cleaning your bottom. Seems odd they both stopped at the same time and you still have power to the units? Good luck.. Hugo

Dec 31, 2004
Thanks for the info. I haven't been around lately, so did not read till right now. Good info. The speed log starting working again, although slow to get up to speed. I think I will just try another transducer. Are you talking about the very small access that is in the starboard lazarette? I think I will see about having a nice access put just foward of the binnacle for getting to the engine and whatever else is down there. What do you think?
Thanks again,
George Haynie

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
A new transducer won't help. Fouling is common to all. The only way to avoid it is to use a GPS for speed and that only gets you speed over ground, not actual speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.